#131 Fireside Chat: Trailer Bash 5 Monday 22 September, 2014

“Trailer Bash 5”

Miss Episode 131 live on Monday night? Click here to listen to the recording OR simply use the embedded player below!

Many believed District 13 to be dead, but that proved to be completely untrue. Well, let the same be said for Hunger Games Fireside Chat, which is proud to return after a long hiatus. We are so excited to be back with you, and we can’t wait to pick up from where we left off!

Episode 131 will air live this Monday, September 22, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Theresa and Ellie from Down with the Capitol, Sheila and Amie from HG Girl on Fire, Crystal from Jabberjays.net, the illustrious Courtney and Tiffany from Welcome to District 12, Ariel from Nerdy, Wordy, and Over Thirty, Kait and Rebekah from Victor’s Village, and Natasha and Jessi from The Fandom!

The topic, of course, is the Mockingjay: Part 1 trailer. We’ll dedicate most of Episode 131 to doing our “infamous” second-by-second, obsessive breakdowns. If you enjoyed Trailer Bashes 1-4, we think you’ll love Trailer Bash 5!

We will also have our favorite Argentinian, Luly (aka Starberry Cupcake), to discuss her profound essay on the need for intelligent, critical thinking within the Hunger Games fandom, especially of late.

Obviously, we are dying to know what YOU think about the new trailer, so please share and bare all your emotions in the comment section!

Also, do you feel critical thinking has gotten lost within the onslaught of bottom-line film marketing and Capitol-like PR campaigns? Let us know!

You can chat with other listeners throughout the live show by using our hashtag #HGFiresideChat on Twitter! We recommend TweetChat to easily follow along with the conversation.

Click here to listen to our previous episode.

Adam (Host/Producer): @AdamSpunberg

News
#132 Fireside Chat: How Things Have Changed
#132 Fireside Chat: How Things Have Changed

• abdullah alsarraf says:

can’t wait! really missed you guys! <3

• Isaac says:

Im so excited! Hopefully I will be out of my financial Accounting class when it starts

Yay! Trailer Bash! I’m so glad you made it back in time for the trailer analysis – it’s something I always enjoy listening to.

So glad you’re finally back! 🙂

• Devin says:

This trailer got me so excited for the movie, but I’m even more excited about HG Fireside Chat’s return!!

• Unsocializedhomeschooler says:

I am unbelievably excited that you guys have returned! So happy!!

I’m unsure what to think of the trailer. It does what a trailer is suppose to do–preview the movie and try to get peoples attention–but I don’t know. With the past two trailers they left in an air of mystery, never showing the arena, keeping it all a secret. I feel that this trailer gives too much of the movie away. We’re not in for any huge surprises this time–the trailer tells us what we’re going to get and that’s about it.

• Laura Weber says:

First, I’m thrilled that you are back. I’ve missed the show so much. I can’t wait for a trailer bash, always so fun!

Also, thank you for sharing the essay, I really enjoyed it, and I encourage everybody to read it and think about it. I really enjoyed a lot of the fan created things that were out there before the movies came out myself, particularly essays with their opinions about the themes and characters presented in the books. I really enjoy this fireside chat, where panelists often debated topics presented in the books as well. Sure, I disagreed with some of it, but this is a series that is clearly designed to inspire debate and critical thought.

My response to the essay is to say don’t expect movie advertizing to do anything other than sell a movie. That’s what it is designed to do. Some of it may be great, original art (shout out to ignition creative that does most of it!), but ultimately it is advertizing. They have a lot of money, so they can do things like take over a hotel and turn it into the capitol, but don’t read so much into it other than something fun and cool to play with the images from the movies.

I also encourage everybody to go deeper and think about what Suzanne Collins has to say about society and the people that make it. Nobody can do that but yourself, but engaging with others in the same exercise can inspire and shape your own critical thought. In the end, The Hunger Games series is a work of fiction. The books can be critiqued by its use of language and contribution to english literature (and has been quite favorably), the movies can be critiqued for its contribution to that artform, but to figure out what the series means beyond that is up to you.

Personally, my favorite fan-inspired moments have been those of social action. When people use the hunger games as inspiration to collect money to feed the hungry, clothe the sick, or even to inspire political change. Remember all those protesters using the three fingered salute in Thailand, or the AFL-CIO using it as a symbol for workers rights? That speaks to what inspires me as a fan. What does the series inspire YOU to do?

• Laura Weber says:

Sorry to blabber on here, but I thought I would add my one comment about the trailer. I really, really dislike that Gale has a crossbow. The one thing I’ve been dying to see visually since I read the book is katniss and gale shooting down the planes in 8, especially their bows. I know this is a stupid thing to harp on, but that scene inspired me to take up archery again more than 20 years after hanging up my bow. People who shoot know that giving a trained archer a crossbow is like giving mozart a player piano, it just makes a mockery of him. And as one of Gale’s biggest fans, that just makes me mad. But whatever, in the grand scale of things, its a pretty small problem in the world.

• MarceEscoto says:

Hey guys! Really missed the show! You guys are the best!

As for the trailer, I thought it was a visually stunning trailer, Francis Lawrence has done it again. Jennifer once again nails it as Katniss and I’m sure this will be her best performance in the franchise. One thing that surprised me about the trailer was how emotional, dark and gritty it was. In less than 1:50 min the trailer takes you through a rollercoaster of emotions!

As always, greetings from Honduras!