#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2 Saturday 05 October, 2013

“Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2”

Miss Episode 123 live last night? You can listen to the recording by clicking here OR simply using the embedded player below!

(Image courtesy of Republic Records)

Episode 123 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, October 7, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Crystal from Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Tiffany from Victor’s Village, and Courtney from Welcome to District 12!

When we took last week off, we had a feeling we’d come back to a mountain of news to discuss. And we were right! The past two weeks have been a whirlwind of Catching Fire and Mockingjay-related excitement, and we’re super pumped to talk about everything!

– To kick things off, we’ll share our thoughts on the latest additions to the cast of the Mockingjay films: Wes Chatham as Castor, Elden Henson as Pollux, Omid Abtahi as Homes, and Misty and Kim Ormiston as Leeg 1 and Leeg 2. Are you satisfied with these choices? Let us know in the comments!

– We’ll also discuss the full track list for the Catching Fire soundtrack (revealed on September 26) and weigh in on Christina Aguilera’s “We Remain,” Sia’s “Elastic Heart,” and The Lumineers’ “Gale Song.” (Those first two tracks are now for sale via iTunes, Amazon MP3, etc. And you can watch The Lumineers perform “Gale Song” live here.) We’d absolutely love to get your thoughts on the soundtrack, so please leave a comment below and let us know if you like what you’ve heard so far and whether or not you’re excited by the track list.

– Time permitting, we’ll spend the remainder of the show offering up opinions on the final Catching Fire poster, the new Entertainment Weekly covers, and all of the new stills released over the past couple of weeks (see here, here, and here).

Click here to listen to last week’s episode.

Tiffany: @twiffidy / @VictorsVillage

#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore

I like the music they have chosen for the soundtrack, but I feel that Coldplay’s Atlas really fits the tone of the movie.

I love the actors they have chosen for Mockingjay , I trust in lionsgate to make the right decisions on casting the new cast members , especially Misty and Kim Ormiston as leeg 1 and 2 are fantastic. Thanks you guys

• Twirl4me says:

Elden Henson as Pollux: YES. I was a 90s kid, and he’s a Mighty Ducks alum (Bash Brothers!), so that alone makes me happy. But a few years ago he was on Grey’s Anatomy with a really emotional storyline, and he made me cry, the only time I’ve ever cried during Grey’s. I can’t wait to see his Pollux, who’ll probably make me cry again.

The soundtrack (so far): HECK yes. I’ve loved Christina for years, “We Remain” is beautiful and emotional, and I hope it’s in the end credits. The other song I’ve been addicted to this week is “Elastic Heart”. I love the metaphor, and the lyrics are just SO Katniss. Especially “I want it, I want my life so bad, I’m doing everything I can”, which is pretty much her mindset in CF in a nutshell. I also love Gale Song (and teared up a bit when I first heard it) because I really like Gale and Katniss’s friendship and was very saddened by what happened with them in MJ. The songs I’m looking forward to hearing most are Lorde’s cover of “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” and Ellie Goulding’s “Mirrors”, because I love her and she was even on my CF soundtrack wishlist, so yay! And if you think about it, her song “Burn” actually fits THG really well. Katniss and Peeta have got that fire, fire, fire, and they’re gonna let it BURN. 😉

D’oh! Thanks for reminding me that “Gale Song” is “out” now as well. I guess I omitted it because it wasn’t available for sale yet — totally forgot about the Lumineers’ live performance!

• Twirl4me says:

And the last CF poster: I love that it’s a callback to the first movie’s last poster, with Katniss in her “I’m about to SHOOT YOU” pose. Also love that her hair is out and braid-less again, making her looking even more beautiful as well as deadly. Like fire!

• Twirl4me says:

oops *making her look ^

• Marce Escoto says:

The first time I read the lyrics for “Elastic Heart” I was blown away, I think it captured Katniss POV beautifully. The struggle of trying to keep it together and her last wish of saving Peeta. There’s one line that really gets to me “But I missed him and I move close”, it’s just so perfect. ILOVEIT.

• Colin says:

I’m not familiar with any of these new castmembers but their parts are small and Lionsgate has done well so far so I’m not worried.

I’m very excited for the soundtrack! I’ve liked the songs so far but I’m really looking forward to the Of Monsters and Men song. They are a great band and I’ve been living in Iceland for the last year so it’ll be nice to have my second home represented!

I LOVE the Soundtrack list. I actually remember someone mentioning Imagine Dragons before in the comments section here and I know that I loved the idea right away. So it’s incredible to see that they made the list. 🙂

I feel conflicted about the Christina song. It’s a bit too “popish” for my liking – not like I have anything against the genre. It just seems a bit too light for this franchise’s themes despite the lyrics being dead on. I knew that they were not going down the Appalachian route since finding out that Coldplay would be on the OST, but I still found Atlas very fitting in its tone. Of course I could be biased, Coldplay IS one of my favorite bands after all.

I really genuinely love the Sia song though. Again, it’s nothing like the songs on the first album, but it has a very unique and interesting sound and I feel like I could listen to it on an endless loop and not get bored of it. In fact I think I pretty much did that since its release. I can’t help it, I just can’t get enough of it. 🙂

And the Gale song is genius. Bless The Lumineers for writing that one. 🙂

Generally I’m very much content with the direction of the soundtrack so far.

I can’t really comment on the new cast members, they look like good additions. I rather enjoyed the EW covers along with the article, and the new poster looks pretty fierce. 🙂 I expect to see pictures of giant versions of it hanging from buildings all across the globe.

Another thing: Am I the only one who felt that the Gale song was something that a Rockingjay artist could’ve come up with? 🙂 I don’t mean that as a negative thing, it just sounds something that a (really-REALLY) talented fan would compose at home while playing on their guitars and I just like the idea of that. 🙂

• I love the last poster for Catching Fire it resembles a still released by EW for THG and Katniss looks firece as h@#$ in both of them and it shows how her situation has changed for the worse but she’s ready to face it. I saw the poster when I bought tickets for CF over the weekened , it was big, beautiful and I wanted to take it so bad. 😀 (Side by side of EW image and last CF poster) http://themockingjay98.tumblr.com/post/63421772801/still-looking-fierce

• Well, I might as well state my shock… I did not expect any the artists who were announced to be apart of the soundtrack… And I love all of the choices! Yes, I understand that some people may be a bit disgusted that the soundtrack won’t have that 100% Appalachian feel to it. However, from a story standpoint, it’s beautiful. In the first film and book, the only life Katniss ever knew was life in District 12. The soundtrack was reflective of that with it’s down-home Appalachian feel. But in Catching Fire, Katniss’ world opens up tremendously. She sees, and hears new things that she has not yet experienced before, including music. Besides the style of music she’s grown up with, she now is being introduced to Rock, R&B, Hip-Hop, Pop, and so much more. Needless to say, JUST GIVE ME THE DAMN ALBUM ALREADY. I wanna hear what Katniss is hearing!!!

• Twirl4me says:

About “Elastic Heart”, I think “I want it, I want my life so bad” refers to the first half of the book before the Quell. She really tried so hard to stop the uprisings and save herself, her family, and Gale and his family. And I get what you guys are saying about some of the songs, but maybe you’re a little too stuck on what you think THG is supposed to sound like. Probably because of the first soundtrack.