#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs -- Oh My! Saturday 21 September, 2013

“Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!”

Miss Episode 122 live last night? You can listen to the recording here or use the embedded player below!

Episode 122 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, September 23, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Courtney from Welcome to District 12, Kait from Victor’s Village, Amanda from HG Girl on Fire, and Ariel from Nerdy, Wordy, and Over Thirty!

*Reminder: We’re giving away tickets to the U.S. premiere of Catching Fire! For more details and to find out how to enter, click here. The contest closes on 9/23/13 at 11:59pm ET.*

– We’ll spend Episode 122 welcoming not one, not two, but THREE new Mockingjay cast members to the Hunger Games family! We’ll share our thoughts on Lily Rabe as Commander Lyme, Patina Miller as Commander Paylor, and Mahershala Ali as Boggs. Let us know what YOU think about these casting decisions by leaving a comment below.

Kait: @Victor’s Village
Amanda: @ArielAysu / @HGGirlonFire

9/20/13: Cool Stuff We Found This Week
9/20/13: Cool Stuff We Found This Week
Fun
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore
Campaigning for Coin: Helen Mirren
Campaigning for Coin: Helen Mirren
Fun

• nightlooker says:

Very happy about Lyme and Paylor’s casting as they are more minor roles. A bit disappointed over Bogg’s, as I had a very clear image in my head of what I imagined him looking like. I not opposed to a person of color being cast in the role, but it certainly was unexpected, as was his very young appearance and age. Was really looking forward to Katniss having a father figure, but perhaps now he’ll represent more of a protective older brother figure in her life.

• He was great in The 4400 and his character was very mature even though he was just 30 when the show started. And his character actually had a daughter played by a 23-year old actress (don’t ask, it’s complicated) and he was certainly convincing as a father figure.

It’s funny, I never had any interest in watching 4400, but so many people have been talking about it due to Mahershala Ali that I totally want to watch it now. He’s great on House of Cards as well.

• Rania says:

There is a new rumor about the running time and it appears to be legit. http://thgaustralia.com/2013/09/23/official-catching-fire-running-time-is-2-hours-26-minutes/ 2 hours and 26 minutes! Much better!

• Ale says:

For now, I am little disappointed over Boggs too. Probably because I’ve only seen him in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and to me his performance was just meh comparing him to Cate Blanchett,Taraji P. Henson,Elias Koteas, Brad Pitt and Tilda Swinton performances. I believe that his work in that movie was kind of overdone. Then again, perhaps I should see more of his work. I’ve read that he is great at The 4400, a series that I never heard before and now I must watch. I guess I’ll have to wait until Mockingjay, but for all we’ve seen until now, casting for THG has worked out pretty well, so I’m sure they cast him because he is good enough to bring Boggs to life :)

On the other side Patina Miler is PERFECT, and I can not wait to see her as Paylor.

I just like to bring out Ms. Patina Miller has officially gives our cast its (well deserved) EGOT! We already had several Emmy, A Grammy winner (3 if you include The Civil Wars and Taylor Swift), two Oscar winners (Lawrence and Hoffman), and finally now a Tony thanks to Patina!

She did great in Pippin, amazing voice! And she’s already in incredible shape to be a commander. I can’t wait to see her in action and hope they expand her character!

I not sure about Rabe and Ali (mostly because I can’t remember that much about their characters) but I’m sure they’re both going to be awesome!

This is definitely just a theory on my part, but I couldn’t NOT think about where they would possibly split Mockingjay upon hearing about Lyme’s casting – could they be including the District 2 scenes in Part 1 for example? Of course I know very well that I’m jumping to conclusions here, and there are several counterpoints to my thinking, one being the fact that they’re shooting the two movies back to back and therefore could film scenes from Part 2 even now, and two: they could obviously cast her months before her schedule starts, especially since these are all established actors not just people who went to a local casting event. We’re not in Kansas anymore, I know that, Toto knows that, yet still… I just have this image of Katniss being shot engraved in my mind as the screen turns black and The Hanging Tree starts playing in the theater as the credits start rolling.

I don’t know much about the new cast members (I remember Ali from 4400 though and apparently he appeared in a few other stuff I’ve seen), nevertheless based on their reputations they seem like pretty damn solid choices. And yay for that EGOT! :D

• I don’t know why, but I always had a feeling that they were going to cast a woman of color as Paylor. So when they announced Patina Miller, I was absolutely floored. I also found her name strangely familiar. So I whipped out my laptop and paid a visit to the ultimate place where fame and shame is documented forever A.K.A. Youtube. That’s when I saw the exact same performance me and my family watched on Dancing with the Stars. She was doing Sister Act at the the time. Also, have you seen that woman’s arms? SHE IS BUFF!!! Broadway makes you look like that!?! All in all, she’s definitely got the Paylor look.

• I think these three casting decisions are ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, like every other casting decision made by Lionsgate and Francis. Lily, Patina and Mahershala are all very experienced actors/performers and I can’t wait to see their interpretations of our beloved characters. And I really need to re-read Mockingjay now!!!! :D

I was pretty excited to see Patina as Paylor, I really think she is going to be really great! Lily does sorta look like the Lyme I pictured but there was notreally much to picture for Lyme so I think anyone that they would have casted would be perfect! Mahershala I really like, I had to warm up to the idea first but now that I thought about it, he really does fit the picture. At first I really did see Boggs as this hulking ghostly pale figure but I really think Mahershala will pull off Boggs quite well.

I’m very impressed by the casting of all 3 – they pretty much embody how I imagined these characters. Although I think Patina may have to hold back that gorgeous smile to play Paylor. :)

I didn’t know much about these actors beforehand, but from what I’ve read and heard, they’re all very talented and promising. I’m so glad they’ve cast people of colour in the case of Paylor and Boggs, and that they are all relative unknowns as well. I get the impression that Lionsgate wanted to cast based on how convincingly they portrayed the part rather than simply choosing from the usual suspects – and I like that.

• Marce Escoto says:

The casting team has nailed EVERY casting decision throughout all the franchise. Just by taking a look at this three, Julianne Moore as Coin, Natalie, Stef, Evan and the recently announced Pollux and Castor I know we’ll have two epic final installments.

• Lexie says:

Maybe the Ginger calling has something to do with Avoxes? That’s the only time I hear red-headed people mentioned in the trilogy. In Catching Fire, Effie remarks something to the effect of, “We got the matching set this year.” referring to Darius and the red headed Avox girl. Elden Henson could (and has) easily pass off as a ginger with a bit of hair color. Maybe red hair will become a defining characteristic of an Avox. (far fetched fan conspiracy!) :D

Haha! You know, I’ve never thought about this much before, but it IS interesting that both Lavinia and Darius are redheads. And Elden could definitely pass for a ginger. Man, why do gingers always seem to get the rough end of the stick!?