#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore Sunday 15 September, 2013

“Hungry for Moore”

**Due to technical difficulties, we have had to pull the audio for this episode. If we are able to restore it, we will let you know on our social media channels and website. Thanks to all of you who listened live! :)**

Since we did have to pull the audio of this episode, we transcribed our interview with the creators and cast of The Hungry Hungry Games. We’re also giving away tickets to every performance of the show on their tour! Click here for the interview and giveaway.

Episode 121 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, September 16, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Ellie from Down with the Capitol, Crystal from Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Rebekah from Victor’s Village, Courtney from Welcome to District 12, and Ariel from Nerdy, Wordy, and Over Thirty.

*FYI: We’re giving away tickets to the U.S. premiere of Catching Fire! For more details and to find out how to enter, click here.*

- To kick things off, we’ll speak with the creators of The Hungry Hungry Games, a new [unofficial] live parody of The Hunger Games that’s currently touring the country. From their website:

ACTION. ROMANCE. MUTANT BEARS.

Sharpen your survival skills as we tackle all the fun of the novel and movie: poverty, oppression, war, twelve-year-olds with bows and arrows, the perfect recipe for a side-splitting night out!

Who will win in this laugh-out-loud epic battle royale?

Prepare for an evening of outrageous and hysterical fun; the ultimate “Tribute” to the best-selling novel & hit movie.

- We’ll then go on to celebrate the news that Julianne Moore will be playing President Alma Coin in both installments of Mockingjay! Let us know your thoughts on this casting decision by leaving a comment down below. (Note: We featured Moore in the “Campaigning for Coin” series we participated in back in June and also spoke about her rumored front runner status on Episode 113 of the show. So those are two places you can go to learn more about her and see what we’ve already had to say about her as Coin!)

(Psst… Our friends at Blacksparrow Auctions are now taking pre-orders for their Hunger Games Costume Auction Catalog [they also have a limited edition hardcover version available]. The auction will take place on Saturday, November 12, at the world famous TCL Chinese 6 Theatres in Hollywood. Interested bidders can participate in this auction in person, by telephone, absentee, and Internet.)

Ellie: @MuchMoreMacho / @HungerGamesDWTC
Rebekah: @Rebekahdg / @VictorsVillage
The Hungry Hungry Games: @HungryGamesShow

#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
9/20/13: Cool Stuff We Found This Week
9/20/13: Cool Stuff We Found This Week
Fun
Campaigning for Coin: Helen Mirren
Campaigning for Coin: Helen Mirren
Fun

I am so happy about this casting she is my favorite actress!!
    Julianne Moore and Elizabeth Banks both were on 30 Rock! They both simutanesly played the love interest of Alec Baldwin – Jack Donaghy !

• Twirl4me says:

oh i totally forgot about Elizabeth being on 30 Rock also, and both with Jack. XD ANOTHER cast connection she already has.

I was very excited about the prospect of Julianne Moore playing Coin, but since June I feel like this excitement has transformed into a “please let it be her” anxiety, so now I feel relief above all else. She also tweeted about the news which is always nice to see, especially since it’s rare that someone of her status is so active in a social media.

If the rumor about the running time is true, then I’m really happy about it. I was worried that Lionsgate and Francis might want to make it shorter this time around to appeal more to the general expectations, but as long as we stay above 2 hours I feel like there’s nothing to be worried about. 137 minutes is still a comparatively long running time.

• Greg says:

As soon as I heard the rumors I as really excited at the idea of her being cast. Moore has the ability to melt into every role that she does and hopefully Alma Coin is no exception. The only setback I can see is that she has a high and youthful voice completely unlike Coin, but I guess vocal training can fix that.

• discotia says:

Moore’s casting is a dream come true. I’m hoping her physical appearance is slightly altered for her character, but from an acting standpoint, I could not be any more pleased. As for the running time, I admit I wish it was a bit longer. In my dream world, Catching Fire (my favorite of the trilogy) would be the longest of the movies (I doubt either parts of Mockingjay will be much longer than two hours) so I really hope this is a minor error. There is a lot that needs to be shown in this film, and a longer running time would give the film a better chance at accomplishing what needs to be done.

• I pictured Moore from the moment Coin was introduced. However after Cabin In The Woods, I started to think maybe Sigourney Weaver would be better but then during re-reads I could not stop thinking it had to be Julieanne and I am so so stoked that my fantasy came true. She is going to be perfect, wonderful, and amazing, I’m sure.

• Liz says:

Julianne is such a brilliant actress and one of the best out there. I’ve seen a lot of her films and she has never played the same character once. its safe to say she is one of the most revered actors in the business. It’s amazing how well respected this franchise is to get the caliber of talent that they’ve gotten. I’m sure she will nail the complex character perfectly. And I’m also so glad they cast someone who is actually 50 years old! I think it’s important that she is not the same age as Snow and is in the prime of her political career. She would have so much more to gain/lose.

• I’m very excited about Julianne Moore. Once again, Lionsgate makes another perfect casting choice. Julianne Moore has been known to channel a wide array of emotions into her characters, which is why she has garnered so much recognition and praise throughout her career. Even when you read the books, Alma Coin is a very difficult woman to figure out. She gives off the presence of absolute power and control without using her emotions to do so. She is an emotion-less character. She is a puzzle. And Lionsgate has hired the right woman to figure her out. WELCOME TO THE FAMILY MISS MOORE…

• Colin says:

I have mixed feelings on her casting. She is a very talented actor and I have enjoyed her films. However the roles I’ve seen her in have been warm and/or likeable characters. It will be nice to see her and Josh in a movie again though.

• She is a very versatile actress. I’ve seen her play everything from outspoken, feisty best friend, to repressed housewife, put-upon part of a long term couple, trophy wife getting hysterical over her husband’s death, and Sarah Palin. I’m sure she can play Alma Coin, too.

• Twirl4me says:

whoo, mini The KIds Are Alright reunion! Yeah, not a significant comment, I just like that fact. :)

• Twirl4me says:

Plus, I saw one of her L’Oreal print ads today, and I actually smiled and went “aw, our Coin!” I bet that’ll keep happening for the next couple years…

• I wanted Moore to play Coin ever since she was featured in the “Campaigning for Coin” series so I went a little crazy during class when I saw the news ( yes on FB during class but who isn’t :D ) I bet she will do an amazing job portraying Coin and all she needs is gray hair and shes perfect!!!!

I am so psyched that Julianne Moore is Playing Coin. I had her fan casted all the way back 4 years ago when I first read the books!!! She is the perfect cast for Alma, I am sooo Excited to see how she does!!!

• Happy about the casting of Julianne Moore; really disappointed that I won’t be able to listen to the show. Please, please, restore the audio. :(

• nightlooker says:

Really hoping the recording can be retrieved and uploaded to itunes!! Keeping my fingers crossed!