#120 Fireside Chat: Atlas Plugged Sunday 08 September, 2013

“Atlas Plugged”
(Rejected episode title: “Messalla Shrugged”)

Miss Episode 120 live on Monday night? You can listen to the recording here or use the embedded player below!

(Image source: Coldplay)

Episode 120 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, September 9, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Arianna from Down with the Capitol, Crystal from Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Tiffany from Victor’s Village, and Natalie of Bookish!

– We’ll start out by sharing our thoughts on Coldplay’s “Atlas,” the first song released from the Catching Fire soundtrack. Please leave a comment and let us know what you think about the song! You can download it from iTunes by clicking here, and you can click here to enter to win Chris Martin’s handwritten “Atlas” lyric sheet. Also, be sure to watch the official lyric video (embedded below), as it’s quite beautiful. Can you find the two mockingjays? 😉

(Oh, and you can pre-order various versions of the soundtrack at MyPlay Direct!)

– We’ll also talk about our third bit of Mockingjay casting news: Evan Ross is Messalla!

– Lastly, we’ll chat about the 20 new Catching Fire character images that were released at The Hunger Games Explorer last Friday (if you haven’t seen them yet, they’re in the third column — just scroll down!). Let us know which one is your favorite!

Arianna: @AwesomeArianna / @HungerGamesDWTC
Tiffany: @twiffidy / @VictorsVillage
Natalie: @nataliezutter / @BookishYA

#118 Fireside Chat: Is Peeta Man Enough?
#118 Fireside Chat: Is Peeta Man Enough?

• Lolly says:

You should throw in the fact that Ed Sheeran pitched 3 songs and were all rejected while talking about Atlas (and is anybody that surprised considering…? https://twitter.com/edsheeran/status/349946357097836545)

• Sarah says:

I was really disappointed that none of Ed Sheeran’s songs made it to the Catching Fire soundtrack. I really love him as a musician. I feel like people are forgetting that the same lady (i forgot her name I’m a terrible fan.) who is doing the music for Catching Fire did the music also for Twilight. Which Ed also pitched songs for and that got rejected. Perhaps its not because of his tweet. (Which I highly doubt it is.) But instead the fact that she does not like Ed’s style of music, lyrics, or voice for some reason. We’re not there in the room so finding out why is nonexistent. However, I really love Atlas, it is such a beautiful song, and a nice change from Safe and Sound, not that I didn’t like that song as well. I’m really excited for the rest of the album and to see what other artists are going to be on it.

I was so disappointed as well! I’m a huge Ed Sheeran fan and have been for a couple years now, so when I learned that he was “rumored” to be on the soundtrack, I definitely got overly excited which let to a big letdown! 😛

I really like it . The song really fits the theme of catching fire ,slow and than really cool fast percussion. I hope they play this song during the movie. I thought they should have done that with Safe and Sound!

• Kasey Vierra says:

The song was beautiful as just lyrics. It is now even more so hearing the music and the vocals. Loved the how the song started off soft and then builds with the chorus. I fell it embodies Katniss and her story though Catching Fire. The lyric video was lovely with the colors and imagery! Like the arrows, the Mockingjay in flight, and the Catching Fire emblem.

I can’t wait the hear the rest of the album. I have high hopes for good songs!

My favorite of the stills shown to us. Would have to be Wiress! Since we haven’t seen her a lot. And well it is good to see her!

Could you guys discuss the recently announced MPAA rating for Catching Fire too? That was quite interesting to ponder.

The song was OK but nothing special to me. It’s nowhere near the same standard as “Safe and Sound” – which I absolutely loved. But then I’m not really much of a Coldplay fan.

I really liked all the character images. It was great to see some candids of the actors in character (as opposed to the posed images we’ve had so far). If I had to pick favourites, I would say I liked Mags and Katniss the best.

The Katniss portrait may actually be my favorite promotional still from the movie at this point, it’s just a stunning piece and captures Jennifer as Katniss really well. But I also loved the Wiress pic, I was always really excited about Amanda Plummer in the role and seeing this image makes me feel validated about my enthusiasm. 😉

I have so many thoughts on Atlas… It’s classic Coldplay, and that intro might just be my favorite piano melody by them. And listening to the song with that lyrics video really just amplified the whole experience. I might be biased, because I’m a huge Coldplay fan by norm, but I believe that it’ll be an absolutely perfect addition to the Catching Fire soundtrack. 😉

• In Greek mythology, Atlas was a Titan who was punished by Zeus for siding with his people during a war. His punishment: he was forced to hold up the sky. Similarly, Katniss chooses to side with the rebellion and because of her choice she must bear the brunt of President Snow. For Coldplay to draw a connection to Atlas and Katniss in song form is absolutely breathtaking. This song defines Katniss’ dilemma: She carries the hopes, dreams, possibilities, and sorrows of every person in the Districts. She literally “carries their world” and “all their hurt” as well. Coldplay has nailed it, as they always seem to do.

In regards to the movie stills released, I continue to be floored by not just Johanna Mason, but Jena Malone as well. Jena looks so brutal and ferocious, and what freaks me out is that she doesn’t even look like herself. She looks like Johanna Mason.

• I think the Atlas song is pretty good but not #twerking good like other songs that are currently trapped in my head. All the new stills are AWESOME and Peeta’s still is my fave because his hair is DA BOMB and………… common its Peeta he’s automatically the best. 😀 As for Messalla I shamed myself for forgetting who he was in Mockingjay but worry not for a re-read is in my foreseeable future.

• Twirl4me says:

I wasn’t too excited about the new stills, because I’m more into the promotional and marketing materials (I FREAKED over the QQ posters). But I did notice something about Katniss’s pic. It’s very similar to a shot of her during training in the first movie, at about 40:43 in. And I love her hair in it, the little side tendrils. Welp, that’s my 2 cents.

Also, will you talk about the Explorer’s new #TickTock countdown? Now THAT i’m pretty excited about, since they incorporated a clock (that started “at midnight”), and it looks like it’ll tick off a new “hour” every week until the movie’s release.

So I suppose to start off, I was very excited when I read the lyrics to Atlas and I was even more excited, being the fan of them I am, that Coldplay was going to sing it. However, and I may regret saying this, I was unimpressed when I actually heard it preformed, *Hides under heavy duty cardboard to avoid flying objects*. To Be honest I felt that it was extremely slow and didn’t pick up how I hoped it would. I will reddem myself however, the video was visually stunning and quite beautiful. I love the usage of pinks and purple and the almost electric pulses, it reminds me much of the explosion in the arena.

As far as Evan Ross goes, its really hard to judge how he will be as Messalla. Right now he looks like an average Joe, and you can’t really decide how he fits for the role until we see him in the full capitol get up. Movie make up is truly quite magical and I guess we just can’t judge tell we see it.

Can I just say Johanna and Enobaria pictures blew my mind. To be completely honest I was half tempted to write and article about them and send it into Victors Village with the title “Johanna and Enobaria will cut you ass” (For those who Don’t know its titled based after the short play, “Chronicle simpkins will cut you ass”) They look so fierce and completely bad ass Im impressed.

• Twirl4me says:

me again! The shot of Katniss in training was while she was tying a snare (at least i’m pretty sure it was a snare), and she looked up while Cato was slicing up the practice dummies. you’re welcome. 🙂

• satsumarena says:

Re Atlas, I actually think playing it during the end credits would work well because it seems to cover mostly the end of CF and the first part of MJ. The first verse seems to refer to Katniss shooting the wire at the forcefield and causing the arena to explode; the second verse refers to “some far away” that could be Peeta and the other captured tributes; or it could be about Gale and the rebels who are searching for “gold” (which could be a reference to the opulent Capitol) and a “dragon to slay” (the Capitol’s tyranny). And Katniss does “explode” at Haymitch when she realizes he left Peeta behind.

I didn’t mind the religious elements at all, though SC did leave any mention of religion out of the books, Coldplay has made such references before in their songs, and they probably wanted the song to stand on its own and not just be a “theme song”.

As for the HG Explorer stills, I liked all of them, and I actually liked the Mags still the best; it seemed to capture her personality wonderfully.

Agreed about Mags’ portrait! Lynn Cohen herself sounds like such a hoot, by the way…I was convinced this Facebook page was a fake because of the content, but Lionsgate assures me that it’s real: https://www.facebook.com/officiallynncohen She posts the most silly, hilarious stuff.