#113 Fireside Chat: Who Should Play Coin? Sunday 30 June, 2013

“Who Should Play Coin?”

Miss Episode 113 live last night? You can listen to the whole show recorded by clicking here OR simply pressing play on the embedded player below!

(The Coin fan art used in the bottom half of this week’s promo image is by Miranda Leiggi!)

Note: If you haven’t read Mockingjay, you should probably avoid reading the rest of this page.

Episode 113 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, July 1, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Crystal from Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Courtney from Welcome to District 12, Tiffany from Victor’s Village, and Ariel of Nerdy, Wordy, and Over Thirty!

– We’ll continue our series of Mockingjay casting episodes by talking about who we think should play/could play President Alma Coin, the duplicitous leader of District 13. We’ll discuss fan favorites, our personal favorites, and YOUR favorites. If you have any thoughts on casting Coin, leave us a comment and we might read it during the show!

– We’ll also address the Julianne Moore rumor! On Thursday of last week, Deadline reported that Julianne Moore is being “eyed” by Lionsgate and Francis Lawrence to play the role of Coin. Coincidentally, Deadline’s report came a mere two days after we and the other fan sites wrote about Moore in our Campaigning for Coin series. Hm… (This report was also “confirmed” by The Hollywood Reporter.)

– Additionally, if there’s time, we’ll try to answer the question: Did Katniss have to kill Coin? (Leave your personal response in the comments below!)

“She’s fifty or so, with gray hair that falls in an unbroken sheet to her shoulders. I’m somewhat fascinated by her hair, since it’s so uniform, so without a flaw, a wisp, even a split end. Her eyes are gray, but not like those of people from the Seam. They’re very pale, as if almost all the color has been sucked out of them. The color of slush that you wish would melt away.”

“And finally, there’s his assessment of Coin. What’s irrefutable is that she’s done exactly what he said. Let the Capitol and the districts run one another into the ground and then sauntered in to take power. Even if that was her plan, it doesn’t mean she dropped those parachutes. Victory was already in her grasp. Everything was in her grasp.

“Except me.”

— ‘Mockingjay’

Tiffany: @twiffidy / @VictorsVillage

#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
9/20/13: Cool Stuff We Found This Week
9/20/13: Cool Stuff We Found This Week
Fun
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore

• Kasey V says:

I have always pictured Nichole Kidman as Coin. I think she would be great in the role because of the presence she can have. But I have loved a lot of the choices that have been put up during the Campaigning for Coin . I trust who are in charge of casting. They have done amazing so far. I really can’t wait to see who gets to play Coin’s Character.

When it comes to Katniss killing Coin. Did she have to? Maybe, maybe not? .. Coin, however, did need to be taken down some way. She couldn’t stay in the position of power she was in. At that moment Katniss believed the only way to stop Coin’s plans was to kill her.

Coin for me was another Snow in a lot of ways. Maybe not as upfront about it. But she wanted control and power. Her description alone is proof of that. Plus she wanted to have another Hunger Games with children of the Capitol. Two wrongs do not make a right . Especially when it comes to innocent lives.

I really want to to see Alma Coin played by Kate Mulgrew , she is perfect !

Though I do love Julianne Moore , and she is my favorite actress, but I think of Kate Mulgrew , when I was reading Mockingjay ! Thanks

• Gregory says:

I personally don’t care about the actress they cast as President Coin. As long as she is a fantastic actress, looks good in gray hair, and has a strong authoritative voice, that’s all I ask for 🙂

• I love the rumor that Julianne Moore is in talks to play Coin. I hope Lionsgate can sign her. I have no doubt that she could look the part, and more importantly play the part. Would be another great casting win.

• Nib says:

I’ve loved all the contenders discussed in ‘Campaigning for Coin’ so far and would be thrilled with any of them, to be honest. I would also add Alison Janey to the list, because I love her and think she’d rock in the role.

I am actually VERY excited about this casting, and especially about the Julianne Moore rumors. She’s an extremely versatile actress who I believe could morph all the different sides of Coin into one single complex character with ease. And even if she doesn’t end up with the part, I still have faith that Lionsgate will manage to sign someone of the same caliber as her, who can fully flesh this character out on screen. And I’m very much looking forward to that.

I’m still going to throw out a name though, that I haven’t really seen mentioned before: Gillian Anderson. Anyone who was alive in the 90s knows that she’s an immensely talented actress who could easily have the whole intelligent, strong-willed aspect of the character down, but I’d also recommend watching a few episodes of her new British series, ‘The Fall’, where she’s mixing that up with a dash of cold authoritative control-freak attitude. So even though I’m at the point where I accepted that it’s most likely never ever going to happen for various reasons, I still personally believe that Anderson could bring something truly special to this role.

Regarding whether or not Katniss HAD to assassinate Coin: that’s one of the many questions to which I don’t think Suzanne Collins ever intended for us to find an easy answer. It’s interesting, because we could ask this in every scenario in which Katniss kills someone, and yet we choose to isolate this one single act. Of course it’s also understandable, since her other kills happen during the Games or in the heat of the battle where most of the time her own immediate survival was on the line, while in this case we’re talking about a premeditated assassination where she could have other motivations than the simple need to protect herself and others – namely revenge. Still, let me ask this: Did she have to kill that random Capitol citizen whose house they ended up in after they escaped from the sewer system in Mockingjay? Couldn’t she have found another way? We need to remember, Katniss made one too many difficult decisions at this point already. She’s not a real machiavellian character, but she can’t afford to be a passive spectator of the show either, to just lie down and hope for the best. In this case there are two questions that we need to answer in order to determine whether or not Katniss’ action was necessary: 1) Would Panem have been a safe place to live in if Alma Coin remained as president? 2) Could Katniss have overthrown Coin in any other way? While I actually have some of my own arguments for Coin, I think most of us agree that the answer to question 1) is NO. I can see a scenario where Coin may actually have built a Panem that a lot of people were satisfied with, but she relied heavily on fear, intimidation and loved power way too much. Question 2) may seem like a tougher discussion at first, but let’s see the facts. Coin sent Katniss on a suicide mission into the Capitol and as far as we know, she’s also directly responsible for Prim’s death which she disguised as the act of the Capitol. But why? Because she knew that Katniss was one of the few people who could’ve challenged her power. The problem with that however is that Katniss didn’t really have the resources to do that. She knew the lengths Coin would go to shut her up, so she would’ve had to make sure to go around her – with no real evidence of what Coin did, and no one around her whom she could trust. Remember, she actually paid a visit to Haymitch after she learned the truth behind Prim’s death, but he was too drunk to listen. So she made a choice – alone – to once again not just be a piece in someone else’s game, and take her destiny into her own hands. She voted yes to the new Hunger Games to make Coin believe that she was on her side, and then used her only chance to get rid of her. It was meant to be Katniss’ last act of rebellion, which may have been fueled partly by revenge, but I don’t think she actually found any kind of satisfaction in it. Was it necessary? How could we know? How could Katniss know? But I think she believed that it was the best shot the people in this country could have. And I’m inclined to agree with that.

Wow, sorry about that essay. 😀 Basically just to sum it up: I’m excited about the Moore rumors, my left-field Coin fancast is Gillian Anderson, and I side with Katniss on her assassination of Coin. There, apparently I could’ve done it in one sentence all along. 🙂

As much as love the thought of Julianne Moore or Cate Blanchett, VIOLA DAVIS comes to mind as someone who could be the PERFECT Coin. She’s a STRONG performer who has excelled on both stage (TWO Tony awards) and on screen (TWO Academy Award nominations, BAFTA winner, Golden Globes nom., Screen Actors Guild winner, etc.). If you’ve never seen her act I SERIOUSLY suggest you watch Doubt (which happens to star fan favorite for Coin, Meryl Streep and current CF cast member PSH). I just squeal like a school girl at the thought of Viola and Jennifer in a scene together…. that would be AMAZING!

Also someone comes to mind (keeping in the trend with women of color) I really like the idea of CCH POUNDER.

Not only are they both REALLY amazing actress, but it’ll bring that diversity that fans (including myself) so want! Sure neither have those pale gray eyes but that’s such trivial and minor characteristic that doesn’t affect the actual character, I don’t really can about eye color. I mean look at Jennifer and Josh!

• Samantha N says:

I’ve always had a very clear image of Coin, but I don’t know any actresses that even come close. However, this movie isn’t based on my vision, and several actresses suggested don’t seem too bad.

• I personally want Jodie Foster to play Coin mostly because I think she looks the part and is a great actress but I guess that isnt happening based on stuff Ive read on fansites :(. I dont think Katniss had to kill Coin it was just something she did in the heat of the moment ,not really thinking it through because of the flood of emotions she went through with Prims death…… maybe even revenge.

• Its too bad Anjelica Houston might be past the right age for Coin. She certainly has an onscreen presence that is hard not to notice. I picture her serious face and perfectly straight hair that would lay just as described. She is very strong actor and would compliment Donald Sutherland perfectly. I agree with the comment above that the casting crew will do a marvelous job in whomever they chose to cast.

• Sym says:

Although I never had any specific actress in mind, I think that Cate Blanchett would be excellent for the role of Coin. She is a very versatile actress, playing a wide range of characters, from graceful elf lady Galadriel in The Lord of the Rings to evil Marissa Wiegler in Hanna. She can play a strong leader like Elizabeth I in Elizabeth: The Golden Age. She can also play evil and cunning as in Hanna. Even though she is a bit young, I don’t feel that that is too much of an issue. Julianne Moore, or any other talented actress from Campaigning for Coin would please me greatly!

• So many of the actresses you’ve mentioned could make a great Coin. Sigourney Weaver is my personal favorite fancast, but I’d also be fine with Joan Allen, Glenn Close, Tilda Swinton, Jessica Tuck, Kate Mulgrew, Meryl Streep if it was likely to happen, and yes, Julianne Moore (she isn’t who I immediately think of for Coin, but she’s played very diverse roles and she’s proven she can transform herself into another person in Game Change) and others I’m forgetting at the moment. I’d be happier if they cast an A-lister like Weaver, Close or Moore, but there are lots of other quality actresses in that age range who could do the role justice. I’ll mention a few others that come to my mind:

– Mary McDonnell: she’s certainly proven in Battlestar Galactica that she can play a strong, morally ambiguous president in time of war, who’s smart, tough, determined, and when needed, cold, scheming, manipulative and ruthless – even though she was a protagonist. Coin is in many ways an evil version of President Roslin. 🙂 Also, McDonnell is an Oscar-nominated actress.

– Michelle Forbes: she’s great in roles of strong women in positions of power, and she was an amazing villain as Admiral Cain in Battlestar Galactica. She can be tough, stern and ruthless as nobody else, but at the same time, Coin is very different from Cain, a manipulative, scheming and sneaky politician, where Cain was completely open and direct military leader. My only problem is that she looks much younger than her age (48).

– Lindsey Crouse: not a big name, but a very good character actress, and she’s played a Coin-like character in season 4 of Buffy (where she was supposed to be the main villain of the season before her unavailability forced a change of plan).

I generally agree about going older rather than younger for Coin, but only up to a certain point. I think that Coin should be significantly younger than Snow (which is why I don’t like the idea of actresses over the age of 70, like Judi Dench). I don’t think they should be seen as *that* similar: Snow is an over-the-hill dictator who’s probably been in power for a very, very long time, as dictators in autocratic societies tend to: once they clutch the throne, you can’t force them down without killing them or starting a revolution. Coin, on the other hand, is about 50, a politician who’s had experience as a leader of District 13 but who still has her best career years ahead of her, and who could rule Panem for decades if she isn’t stopped. You don’t get the same impression if you cast a Coin who’s as old as Snow.

Speaking of Snow, I’m not sure why you think Donald Sutherland is older than book!Snow. Snow’s age is never stated in the books, but we do know that he’s an old man. I don’t see any evidence that he’s *not* in his mid or late 70s. Yes, Finnick says he was a young man when he came to power, but we have no idea how long ago that was. It may have been 40 or 45 years ago.

Regarding Katniss’ assassination of Coin: I don’t think that Katniss killed Coin just out of revenge for Prim. We don’t even know if she had made that decision before Coin introduced the idea for the next Hunger Games. And Collins didn’t need to introduce that scene if Katniss was just to kill Coin out of revenge. The next Hunger Games suggestion is what proves, to us and to Katniss, that Coin is Snow 2.0, that history is repeating itself, and that “nothing will ever change” (which Katniss thinks about after she hears Coin’s suggestion). I think that’s when Katniss decided she had to kill Coin – yes, I’m sure that revenge is a part of the reason, but the main reason was to remove Coin from power and stop the history from repeating itself, so all the deaths and sacrifices during the war would not be in vain.

Katniss had also wanted to kill Snow out of revenge, but at that point she knew that it was pointless as he was going to die anyway – if she didn’t execute Snow, someone else would, she was just appointed as his executioner. Katniss also never thinks about killing Plutarch, although Snow hinted that he was probably involved in the planning of the false flag attack that killed Prim, and there’s no indication that Katniss didn’t believe that, especially since she never trusted or liked Plutarch.

I certainly think Katniss believed she had to assassinate Coin, and I think she was probably right. Would she really ever be able to stop her from consolidating her power, let alone bring her to justice, through other means? Yes, Coin had feared that Katniss would endanger her position by throwing her support for another candidate (such as, say, Paylor), but by the time the vote took place, she seemed to have already become the leader of Panem. And yes, it’s true that you never know if the next leader would be better, worse of the same… but the same is true when you bring down a leader through institutional means, whether it’s election, or arresting them for their crimes.

P.S. I think Sam Claflin does have green eyes? 😉