#112 Fireside Chat: Who Should Play Annie and Tigris? Sunday 23 June, 2013

“Who Should Play Annie and Tigris?”

Did you miss Episode 112 live last night? You can click here to listen to the recording or simply use the embedded player below.

(The lovely Annie and Tigris fan art used in this promo is by Verlisaerys and fantasia1940!)

Episode 112 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, June 24, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Ellie from Down with the Capitol, Kait from Victor’s Village, Natalie of Bookish, and Ariel of Nerdy, Wordy, and Over Thirty!

– We’ll continue our series of Mockingjay casting episodes by talking about who we think should play/could play Annie Cresta and Tigris. We’ll discuss fan favorites, our personal favorites, and YOUR favorites. Let us know in the comments who you’d love to see in these roles.

– We’ll also speak more generally about both characters and the roles they each play in the trilogy. If you have any specific Annie and Tigris-related topics you’d like us to address, leave a comment and let us know! (For example: Will Tigris even make it into the movie?)

“A lovely if somewhat bedraggled young woman — dark tangled hair, sea green eyes — runs towards us in nothing but a sheet. ‘Finnick!’ And suddenly, it’s as if there’s no one in the world but these two, crashing through space to reach each other. They collide, enfold, lose their balance, and slam against a wall, where they stay. Clinging into one being. Indivisible.”

“She’s lost in some daze of happiness. There are still moments when you can tell something slips in her brain and another world blinds her to us. But a few words from Finnick call her back.”

“Tigris. Deep in my brain, the name rings a bell. She was a fixture — a younger, less disturbing version of herself — in the earliest Hunger Games I can remember. A stylist, I think. I don’t remember for which district. Not 12. Then she must have had one operation too many and crossed the line into repellence.

“So this is where stylists go when they’ve outlived their use. To sad theme underwear shops where they wait for death. Out of the public eye.”

— ‘Mockingjay’

Ellie: @MuchMoreMacho / @HungerGamesDWTC
Natalie: @nataliezutter / @BookishYA

#119 Fireside Chat: Cresta and Cressida
#119 Fireside Chat: Cresta and Cressida

• I’d like a relative unknown to be cast as Annie. Maybe someone who has only done theater, etc. Someone where you really don’t know what to expect. Is that weird?

As for Tigris, any great character actress please. It could be a fun role that would only take a couple days to shoot. A lot of great possibilities here http://www.imdb.com/list/4Jka_a6XE-0/

No stunt casting!

• Oh, and when I say no stunt casting I mean like no Madonna.

• I never gave much thought to Tigris’ casting. But since her role in the film will probably be limited (as it is in the books) I think it would be nice to have maybe a special appearance by a very established actress like Kate Winslet or maybe even Halle Berry. For Annie, if they don’t decide to choose an unknown, I think that Amanda Seyfried or Anna Paquin would be perfect for the role!

• Gregory says:

This is kinda stereotypical casting, but I really want Astrid Berges-Frisbey as Annie. Sam and her have worked together on the fourth POTC movie. Even though Astrid as a thick Spanish accent, it shouldn’t be a problem as Annie has a quiet voice and apparently District 4 is located in present-day California according the official map.

(As a sidenote, the official Twitter account for THG Adventures confirmed that Suzanne created that map on a past tweet seen here: https://twitter.com/THGAdventures/status/324243132080332800)

• Jessica says:

I know this might sound self centered but I could picture myself as Annie. I’m an unknown and have a quite voice. I also look like her, I’m actually shooting my own short for my reel. I hope I could audition for it. I loved Catching Fire, Mocking Jay!

• Marce Escoto says:

Hmmmm for Annie I can think of a few names: maybe Lucy Hale, Troian Bellisario…Alexis Bledel perhaps? Camille Bell should work too.

As for Tigris…that’s a tricky one. The only name I can think from the top of my head is Rebel Wilson. C’mon who else could pull that character off? For me, Tigris was a comic relief in an otherwise tense moment in mockingjay… it could work. I mean who doesn’t love Rebel Wilson?

• Tigris is not a comic character. She’s actually pretty sad and tragic, and I don’t think her looks are supposed to be funny, they are supposed to be disturbing. Rebel Wilson would be much better suited for Fulvia Cardew (another Capitol-born character, and the one I would bet she was up for), who actually is a comic relief character. She also fits the description of Fulvia much better than those of Tigris. Fulvia is described as having plump cheeks. Tigris is supposed to be catlike, not just in the face (which makeup will take care of) but also in entire appearance and movement. I can’t see Rebel Wilson pulling that off.

• Gaby N says:

To be honest I think it could go either way: Francis and the producers casting well-known actresses or rather unknown ones for the roles of Tigris and Annie Crest. I think, for minor roles like these, the actors should not overpower their roles. In other words, the people casted shouldn’t steal the audience’s attention when they are to be focusing on the rebellion or the Finnick & Annie love sequence. I may sound unoriginal, but I would really like Astrid Berges-Frisbey to play Annie. She has somewhat of a ‘soft’ look about her that I have always pictured Annie having. Though I previously stated that I did not think too famous of an actress would be optimal for these roles, I actually don’t think I would mind Rebel Wilson as Tigris, as the rumors earlier this year had suggested. She could potentially attract more of an audience to MJP2, but it will be interesting to watch if she can take the role more seriously, considering she’s only ever done comedies.

• I think Rebel Wilson would be more suited for Fulvia Cardew, who is a comedic role, unlike Tigris, and whose description she fits much better than that of Tigris. Fulvia is described as having plump cheeks. Tigris is supposed to be catlike, not just in face (which makeup will take care of), but in entire appearance and movement, and I can’t see Rebel Wilson pulling that off.

• Gaby N says:

**Cresta sorry 🙂

For some reason, Hannah Murray is the first thing that pops into my mind when I think about Annie. She played somewhat disturbed characters before, like Cassie on Skins, and she has that sort of crazy vibe to her. That being said, I’m not sure if I’d call her my first choice for the role. Another name that came to me was Samantha Barks (Les Miz), although at this point I have a feeling that it might just be because my brain unconsciously made the connection of pairing up Sam Claflin with another British actress. And just to immediately contradict myself on these choices: both Hannah and Samantha has brown eyes, and are about the same age as Jennifer. So all in all, I think I’d rather wait and see what Lionsgate is coming up here.

My problem about casting Tigris is that a) I could imagine literally anyone playing that part of any age or look, since it’s a minor character with almost no description other than the operations that were made on her (I’ve seen people saying regarding the Rebel Wilson rumors that she couldn’t be Tigris, but honestly: I think she could be just as much in discussion as anyone else), b) we can’t even be sure that this character will be in the movies. I know that the fact that Mockingjay will be split into two, means that we could get more details from the book, but if it doesn’t work well with the movie’s pacing, I can imagine Tigris ending up on the cutting floor.

• I don’t think that eye color matters – it didn’t when they cast Josh and WIllow, and several other characters look nothing like their description in the book (with Haymitch, they even made Woody look completely different than book Haymitch by giving him long blond hair). And Annie’s eye color is even less important for the story. What I do see as problem, however, is that Hannah Murray looks really young, much younger than Sam, Jen or Josh. She looks more like a teenager than Jen or Josh do, even though she’s 23..

• Annie: Allison Brie

Tigris: TYRA BANKS

• Rachel says:

Sam Claflin wants his fiancee to play Annie. 🙂

• Claire says:

I like Alexis bledel as Annie. She has the pail skin and long hair with bangs I pictured as Annie . But she wouldn’t have very pale skin in district 4 being by the water so much.

Maybe Sandra Bullock as Tigris? She’s established and even though she’s more known for comedy she can also do dramas.

• Royce says:

ALICE ENGLERT!! The perfect Annie!!

I actually love that suggestion!

• A few comments about things discussed on the show:

re: Annie’s age – Peeta says in Catching Fire that she won about 5 years ago; so that would mean probably the 70th Games, possibly a year before or after since he’s not sure. That would make Annie younger than Finnick, but only by a year or two, as you pointed out. I don’t have a favorite for the role, most of the actresses mentioned seem like good picks, although I think that Hannah Murray, based on the photos I’ve seen of her, looks too young even though she’s the right age (she looks like a teenager, as if she were younger than Jen and Josh, and she looks much younger than Sam), and Amy Adams does look a bit too old to be a convincing 23-year old.

re: Zooey Deschanel – I really don’t see her as Annie, she has that “cute” look perfect for romcoms and quirky comedies. I can’t see her in a dramatic role, breaking people’s hearts. When I think of “Annie look”, I think more of Summer Glau, Amy Acker (though it would be typecasting for both these actresses, who are already known for having played mentally disturbed women) or Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey;I’m not saying they should be cast (Berges’ accent may be a problem, and Acker may be a bit too old for the role? Or not, she does look youthful) but that this is the kind of look that the actress should have.

re: Annie’s ethnicity: if we’re going by the book description, it’s limited to white or mixed race, due to green eyes (same thing as with Katniss and Gale with their grey eyes), but there’s no particular reason why they should stick to the book description, since details like the color of her eyes or her ethnicity aren’t really important. However, I haven’t seen any non-white actresses fancast so far.

re: “whitewashing”: I keep hearing that this is something that a lot of people have been complaining about, and I really don’t understand it. What “whitewashing”?! Do people who complain even know what that word means? I understand wanting more diversity (I think the cast could do with some diversity, but in the sense of having more Asians or Pacific Islanders or South Asians or Native Americans, not in the sense of having only white actors, which is not true), but “whitewashing” means casting a white actor in the role of a character who was specified as non-white and turning a non-white character into a white one. (For instance, what has been done with Heathcliff in every single adaptation of Wuthering Heights except one, but nobody ever seemed to have a problem with that. You can guess that it’s a pet peeve of mine.) The only characters specified as non-white, specifically as black, in the books – Rue, Thresh and Chaff – are played by black actors. In addition, black actors were also cast as characters that were not racially specified (Cinna, Enobaria) or were even not likely to be black due to the physical description (Beetee, Seeder). So what is that all about?

re: Mags speaking Spanish – she could still be speaking Spanish if she’s from California, I think California has a sizable Hispanic population?

re: “too many brunettes” 😀 This won’t be a problem if they stick to the book: Johanna has a shaved head throughout most of Mockingjay.

re: Jocelyn Wildestein – I suspect that she may have been the inspiration for Tigris, but I wonder if people who mentioned her as a fancast were serious. She’s not an actress, she’s a rich socialite, she’d probably be insulted if they offered her the role of someone who’s considered a freak, and she probably can’t act. I remember seeing Shirley Henderson fancast, but I don’t know what the arguments were in her favor. Whoever plays her (if she’s in the movie) would have to have a lot of makeup. (Do I foresee an Academy Award nomination or two for hair & makeup for THG series in the next 3 years?)

re: Tigris being cut – it may or may not happen. She’s not essential to the narrative, but it would be nice to have her in the movie since she and her story is so memorable and because of what she represents. I don’t think she’s a comic role at all, I think it should be a sad and disturbing story.

But regarding the conversation between Peeta and Gale that Katniss overhears, IMO that’s the #1 thing that SHOULD be cut. Nothing about that scene makes any sense in the context of Mockingjay and in that moment, it felt forced, and I suspect that Collins only wrote it as a concession to her publisher who (by her own admission [publisher’s, not Collins’]) was asking for more of a “love triangle”. The book would have been greatly improved if that scene had been removed. It doesn’t make sense that Peeta would consider himself in the running for Katniss’ romantic partner while he was hijacked, mentally unstable and handcuffed to the bed so he wouldn’t try to kill her again; it doesn’t make sense that Gale would think Katniss was considering him as a romantic partner and “choosing” between him and Peeta, even though Katniss had up to that point in Mockingjay shown zero interest in a romantic relationship with Gale; it doesn’t make sense for either of them to assume that Katniss must have a romantic relationship after the war, and that it must be with one of them; it doesn’t make sense for the book to be trying to convince us at that point that there is still this big “who will she choose?” love triangle going on, as if we’re in the middle of Catching Fire, where such a conversation would have made sense; it even feels offensive to have that conversation in that moment, right after Finnick and a bunch of other people have died a gruesome death in the tunnels. What purpose does it serve, anyway, apart from giving the lip service to the idea of an ongoing love triangle? The only important new thing we learn from it is that Peeta is again romantically interested in Katniss (and still thinks she loves Gale), but Katniss herself, despite overhearing that conversation, still hinks that Peeta is lost to her forever while she’s hugging him the next morning, as if that conversation didn’t even happen. And the whole “she will choose who she can’t survive with” will only be misunderstood, and has already been misunderstood by many readers, who complain how Katniss is a “user” or “settled for Peeta” and similar nonsense. The symbolism that Collins was going for in the last paragraph of the book (hope and kindness is what she can’t survive without, not anger) was too overt and simplified anyway, IMO, and I don’t think that it will make it to the screen, so the “setup” with that conversation is unnecessary.

Thanks to you and others I’m now totally into the idea of Amy Acker as Annie!

You’re right that Mags could still be speaking Spanish if D4 is in California! I think that’s probably one of my favorite fan theories ever.

And yeah, like I said to Satsuma below, the term whitewashing is definitely misused a lot these days. Which frustrates me since whitewashing is such a serious offense (to me, at least) and is not a term that should be used loosely.

Don’t even get me started on Wuthering Heights! I’m a massive fan of the Brontës, and as such, tend to get a little overzealous about things…but…UGH. To me, casting Heathcliff with a white actor is just as bad as casting Othello with a white actor. I still haven’t seen the recent adaptation with Kaya Scodelario (who I love) and James Howson, but I’m DYING to! 🙂

• Also, I forgot to mention, many people think that Wiress was autistic, which may be another reason why they wouldn’t portray Annie as autistic. They probably wouldn’t want to have two autistic Victors.

• satsumarena says:

TTB: I don’t get that much into fancasting, but I agree that when it comes to characters SPECIFIED as non-white in the books, the movies have not “white-washed” them.

However, many people throw around that accusation because they believe, as their personal “headcanon”, that particular characters are non-white. People have said this about Katniss, Gale, and other Seam inhabitants (even though SC herself has stated they are not “mixed-race” the way we think of it), about people in D4, about Johanna Mason (because many people assumed she was Latina), etc.

Now, I think that while people are certainly justified to say “if a person is not SPECIFIED as white, and the description makes it plausible for them to be non-white, then we should open up casting to non-white actors”. But “being plausible that they’re non-white” is not the same as “definitely non-white”, and I think using the term “white-washing” in such situations, is a misuse of the term.

However, it seems that many people are so desperate for increased diversity in literature, that they think any character who isn’t “lily-white”, but is described as “olive-skinned” or “tan” or “bronze” or whatever, MUST be a “person of color”. I find this really ironic, because this idea seems very close to the “one drop of black blood makes you black” reasoning that seems pretty racist to me, but supposedly, only white people can be guilty of racism in the US.

(Which I personally don’t agree with, I know the point is that only white people have the power to affect others with their racism in an institutionalized way, but I think that’s like saying “Only Capitol people can be bigoted against Districters, because only they have the power to affect others with their bigotry in an institutional way.” Because we see what happens when the tables are turned.)

To TTB & Satsuma: Thanks for being able to have a conversation about race/ethnicity that is calm, rational, and intelligent!

People have definitely thrown around the term whitewashing very carelessly, which concerns me, since I view [real] whitewashing as a serious offense. A word of that magnitude should not be used lightly. I do think it’s lost its original meaning for a lot of people, but I’m thankful that at least more and more TV/movie consumers are becoming aware of the lack of diversity in mainstream media.

I still don’t get the Johanna-is-Latina thing! I mean, it would have been awesome if she HAD been cast with a Latina actress, but some people were so infuriated about the Jena Malone casting it was a bit bizarre.

• satsumarena says:

Thanks for the feedback! I think that when discussing such a sensitive subject, it’s very important to use proper terminology. Expressing a hope that a cast be more diverse than it is, I think is totally justified, but misusing terms just makes things confusing. It also seems that many people, especially in the US, just can’t break out of the way we perceive issues of race and ethnicity. I think SC meant for Panem to have racial and ethnic demographics that are quite different from modern-day US, but people still try to force a futuristic world into a contemporary mold.

I also think that a lot of the time, what fans are REALLY angry about, isn’t really diversity or lack thereof, but “S/he doesn’t look like the way I imagined, and of course, I am right and the movie producers are wrong”. They just get to make their argument sound better if there is ambiguity about a character’s ethnic or racial background. I think much of the “Johanna is Latina” fanon developed because one of the fancast favorites to play her, was Latina. (Unfortunately, I’m sure some of it was based on stereotypes about “feisty Latina women.”)

It also seems that much of the “whitewashing” accusations (both about THG, and now about GOT in reaction to the actor being cast for Oberyn Martell), have taken place on tumblr, which is NOT a great platform for intelligent discussion, as the format encourages people to simply “like” or “reblog” a post with little critical thinking involved. It seems that once a post is reblogged a certain number of times, people assume it must be legitimate. (For example, thousands of people were ready to crucify Justin Bieber based on a MISQUOTED interview.) I’m sure the fact that most of the people on tumblr, are in their teens and young 20s, who are already prone to a “mob mentality”, doesn’t help.