#96 Fireside Chat: Announcing the 74th Victory Tour Sunday 24 February, 2013

“Announcing the 74th Victory Tour”

If you missed Episode 96 live, you can click here to listen to the recording OR simply use the embedded player below!

Episode 96 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, February 25, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Ellie from Down with the Capitol, Rebekah from Victor’s Village, Courtney of Welcome to District 12, Natalie of Tor.com, and Ariel of Nerdy, Wordy, and Over Thirty!

Well, we had a nice vacation, but we’re back now and definitely have a LOT to talk about! 😀

– We’ll start things off by quickly recapping the Oscars ceremony and congratulating Jennifer Lawrence on her Oscar win!

– Next, we’ll be joined by Fong Sam, organizer of Haxbee Inc. and Blacksparrow Auctions’ Hunger Games Costume Exhibit & Auction! The exhibit starts touring the country on March 1st, and we’ll let you know where and how you can see it! We’ll also chat with Fong about the auction and whether or not fans on a budget will be able to participate.

– For our main topic, we’ll be discussing the two beautiful Victory Tour posters that Lionsgate released on Friday! The debut of these posters officially marked the start of Catching Fire publicity, and we’re more than a little excited! Leave a comment below and let us know what you think of the posters. Which one is your favorite? How do they compare to the early marketing materials we saw with The Hunger Games? We’ll try to share as many of your comments as possible!

– Lastly, it looks like Capitol Couture will be returning soon! The website — CapitolCouture.PN — was recently updated and it looks like something is on the way. What sorts of things do we think Capitol Couture will feature this year?

Ellie: @MuchMoreMacho / @HungerGamesDWTC
Rebekah: @Rebekahdg / @VictorsVillage
Natalie @nataliezutter / @tordotcom

#92 Fireside Chat: The First Flames of ‘Catching Fire’
#92 Fireside Chat: The First Flames of ‘Catching Fire’
Live Oscar Chat for ‘Hunger Games’ Fans
Live Oscar Chat for ‘Hunger Games’ Fans
Fun
Hunger Games Oscar Pool Contest
Hunger Games Oscar Pool Contest
Contest

• Kasey V says:

Both posters are beautiful. I especially love the close up of Katniss and Peeta. (Background on my iphone 😀 ) Gorgeous! Jen and Josh look amazing! I can not wait to see them again as their characters.

The touches that show the Capitol’s power over the winning Victors is very present, in the images. With the towering sculpture and of course Snow’s signature white roses. *shudders* I find it very interesting, even with these dominant things in the poster. It is still very soft and serene. Obviously the way the Capitol wants to paint itself for its citizens.

This has been a great small taste of what is coming our way as we wait for Catching Fire. I know I am excited for the Victory Tour!

• Sarah says:

Maybe the Capitol couture would be katnis’s “designs.” Considering that its her “talent” that she picked up after the games. It would be something different. And a good way to bring more attention to something that may not be seen as much in the movie.

• José A. says:

I think the posters are great and kind of foreshadow things that will come up in the movie like how they’re wearing elegant white clothes and Katniss is holding white roses and that could foreshadow the wedding run by the Capitol, or more like Snow, and the metalic structure could be a hint at the cornucopia, because the google map image of the cornucopia has the same metallic color and long abstract shapes.

• starfishtony says:

The Victory Tour posters look amazing and beautiful. You can tell they’re on a much bigger budget now too. I wonder what the monument behind Peeta and Katniss is. I hear people saying it’s a cornucopia but nothing’s been said officially yet.

It’d be interesting to see what they do with Capitol Couture (which has a slogan of It’s a New Year & You Know It’s Going to be Oh So Capitol). What I wanna see is posts about the past victors of the games, and maybe a photo of them. That’d be really cool and a great way to get some insight to the victors that will appear in the film.

I have a feeling that once principal photography has officially wrapped up in a few weeks, Lionsgate are going to really start throwing Catching Fire related stuff at us.

• The Vaultmaster says:

My jaw nearly dropped when I saw the posters- firstly, I didn’t expect them to be released this soon, but I’m certainly not complaining, and secondly, does anyone think that they are going all-out with the costumes, the designs, the looks, and pretty much everything? I was just so impressed by the look and feel of this Victory Tour based on two pictures! That’s an achievement.

Hopefully, we’ll finally get to see Jeffrey Wright in costume soon!

And JENNIFER WON BEST ACTRESS! My month is made by this news alone! What a huge boost for the HG fandom in this dry spell of news and what an amazing thing for Jennifer. She totally deserved it, Silver Linings Playbook was incredible and things can only get better, HG-wise, because of this!

It’s been a great week for us Hunger Games fans, that’s for sure!

I really enjoy the new posters. I love the marketing ploy of acting as if we’re the Capitol (which in hindsight we are, of course). At first glance I thought I liked the close up poster more than the other one; but the more I looked at them both I find myself in love with the wide shot.

The wide shot can easily be seen as a metaphor for the Capitol and its districts. Katniss and Peeta are seen as the small and insignificant district dwellers while this menacing large and power sculpture towers over them as the Capitol. Even though these are kids who went into the games as representatives for the district, they are now figureheads (or products) of the Capitol.

I’ve even seen a few comparisons of the new posters to the Hitler’s Youth propaganda posters. Which is creepy, weird, and cool all at the same time (And I don’t say that a lot (or ever) when it comes to ANYTHING pertaining to Hitler). The Marketing team is AMAZING on this film. I know we’re only a few posters into the Marketing publicity ads but I have to say they really stepped up their game from last year! I could even say this is something an actual fan would put together, if given the opportunity! Nicely done LionsGate!

• abdullah says:

i hope you guys can talk about the production design, like aren’t you guys nervous that catching fire might have a different feel then THG? i sure hope they don’t change the Capitol’s city look that Gary ross set down. what do you guys think?

• satsuma says:

What I really liked about the posters, is that despite the surface airbrushing and glamour, they also show glimpses of how Katniss and Peeta would really be feeling about marketing the Victory Tour Peeta looks tense and brooding, while Katniss looks bored and indifferent. They certainly don’t look madly in love with each other! That’s not even mentioning the hidden symbolism of the white roses and the Cornucopia-esque sculpture. The posters work both on a surface level for the casual movie fan, and on a deeper level for the fan who knows from reading the books what was really going on.

The CF marketing seems to have really stepped it up. The previous viral marketing campaign for THG featured Capitol people from a Capitol POV, but seemed to be much more superficial, and didn’t seem to have the many layers these posters do. I also am starting to wonder what will happen to the Capitol.pn and District sites as the rebellion takes center stage — perhaps pre-CF is too early, despite the “every rebellion begins with a spark” slogan, but I can definitely see pre-MJ marketing featuring the sites being cleverly hacked by rebels. And isn’t there a “District 13” site that has yet to be fully revealed? I am excited about the possibilities!

• Caitlyn says:

I luv luv luv the Victory Tour posters!:) When they came out I was literally jumping on my bed! Haha:) Jen and Josh look amazing (as always) I know now I WILL be crying when the trailer comes out

• Addy says:

Let me tell you something. I was not allowed to be up until 11:00 so I had to sneak downstairs and turn on the TV while my parent were watching TV one floor below me. When jennifer won I screamed forgetting my surroundings and immediately covered my mouth and continued screaming (silently) and celebrating very quietly. My first oscars…. It was fun! And about those posters? Hmmm well my family thought i was having a seizure or something. I was screaming because it looked SO perfect! It looks more polished and futuristic than the first movie and i absolutely cannot wait for the trailer!

Haha! So glad you were able to see her win. 🙂

I loved the Victory Tour Posters. I think it was a very clever way to introduce the beginning marketing of Catching Fire. I loved both poster equally. The Close up shot is simply beautiful. I love how defined and strong they both look, and how polished they are. It really shows the after effects of the capitol. I was very intrigued by the wide shot photo. I love the concept of the towering capitol over the Victors who defied them. It really captures the capitols perspective of the pair. It really says you defied us now your going to be forever in our gras and that they will be the faces of the capitol. I am also wondering about the white attire. It made me instanly think wedding and proposal. I am wondering if this is not part of the set up for the arranged marriage. All in all I am very excited by this posters and cant wait to see more of whats to come in the future.

As far as the remodling of the Capitol Corture Tumblr I think that its a possiblity that they will be puting up Katniss’ wedding gowns, like they did in the books as a vote for the favorite dress. I also think that it is a possiblilty that it will contain some of “Katniss'” designs as well as maybe there victory tour outfits and some of the new capitol atire inspired by Katniss’ pin. I am definitly looking foward to seeing the new page.

• My immediate impression from the posters is that even though Katniss & Peeta are victors they are still small and weak compared to the might of the Capitol which is depicted by the large intimidating sculpture. I feel like what they’re wearing backs this up… the fact that wearing simple white clothing says to the districts that at the end of the day they are just two children from District 12, overall they are amazing!

Thanks for all of the wonderful, insightful comments everybody! 😀

• Katrin says:

hey guys,
    i am a history student from germany and after first seeing the posters announcing the 74th victory tour i couldn’t help but notice the incredible similarities between these posters and fascist/communist propaganda. in fact, if you search on the internet for monuments such as the “monument to the heroic defenders of leningrad” in st. petersburg you will find that similar artifacts still exist today. they often depict a young, healthy, strong couple with these calm yet determent expressions. ready to build a better and glorious future for their country and its people. even these strange, intimidating, random kinds of arcitecture can be found there. they are often victory columns, which would of course be a qiut fitting interpretation here, too. even katniss’ and peetas clothes play along those lines. seeing that they are fashioned in the 1940th kind of stil, as you have already pointed out in the show.