#92 Fireside Chat: The First Flames of 'Catching Fire' Sunday 13 January, 2013

“The First Flames of ‘Catching Fire’”

Miss Episode 92 live? No worries! You can listen to the recording here or use the embedded player below.

Episode 92 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, January 14, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include Shylah Down with the Capitol, Crystal of Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Natalie from Tor.com, Tiffany from Victor’s Village, and Courtney of Welcome to District 12.

You know what they say. Every revolution begins with a spark… Or an issue of Entertainment Weekly!

EW’s 2013 preview issue hit stands on the 11th, sending Tributes everywhere into a frenzy and completely revitalizing a dormant fandom. The issue features this “first look” Catching Fire cover, seven exclusive stills/photos from the film and set, and an extensive article that includes interviews with the cast and creators.

We will talk about ALL OF THIS.

Other topics will include:
- A brief recap of the 2013 People’s Choice Awards
- Our thoughts on this year’s Oscar nominations and why The Hunger Games didn’t receive any

Please leave comments below sharing your thoughts on the EW cover, the stills, and the accompanying article. You can share a personal highlight from the article, weigh in on the decision to cut Bonnie and Twill, etc. We’ll read as many of your comments as possible during the show.

(If you missed last week’s episode, click here to listen!)

Down with the Capitol: @HungerGamesDWTC (Shylah: @JediShywalker)
Natalie: @nataliezutter / @tordotcom
Tiffany: @twiffidy / @VictorsVillage

#96 Fireside Chat: Announcing the 74th Victory Tour
#96 Fireside Chat: Announcing the 74th Victory Tour
Live Oscar Chat for ‘Hunger Games’ Fans
Live Oscar Chat for ‘Hunger Games’ Fans
Fun
Hunger Games Oscar Pool Contest
Hunger Games Oscar Pool Contest
Contest

I have a few comments I hope you can read on air, but I was confused by Plutarch Heavensbee costume, my understanding that was he dressed a little more garishly ?. At least that what understood from the books.

Also I read an interview with jennifer lawrence , which said that they had more filming to do? Is that true I thought they finished filming in December ?

• I read they’re not done until March.

You are correct. :)

And too bad for the hunger games not getting an Oscar nomination , but I am not surprised.
    Thanks you

• Emma says:

The EW cover looks fantastic and I’m keeping the magazine forever LOL but in all seriousness I think catching fire has a great crew and cast, I’m hoping they come up with a perfect movie that even non-hunger games fans will want to see. But when I finished reading the section on the casting of Sam as finnick I was really disappointed at our fandom because at the very end Sam was talking about the sugar cube scene and then he says ” I’m on twitter, and so many people have been like ‘don’t mess this up or we will kill you.”
    To be honest I’m kinda embarrassed for whom ever said this cause I really love Sam as finnick and I want everyone else to love him as finnick too.
    But on the topic of oscars I’m very happy jenn is nominated :D and once again I’m being honest and I’m gonna have to say that maybe THG did deserve a nomination for costumes or hair and make-up but that’s it. I also think that some great movies got numbed for nominations like the perks of being a wallflower.

• Jessyca says:

For the Sam thing, I completely agree! I mean we haven’t even seen him act yet so there is no reason to judge. I was hesitant at first because I haven’t seen him in anything, but this pic proves to me that he is perfect for the role and I am very excited to see him in the movie.

• Jessyca says:

I LOVE THE STILLS!!!! Finnick is my favorite <3 and Peeta and Katniss look great too! I also like how Prim and Katniss's mom were included.

• The Vaultmaster says:

When Gary Ross announced he wasn’t coming back, and we got Francis Lawrence to replace him, I’m sure most of us had some reservations at first. I sure did. I was worried that Francis wouldn’t have the same kind of drive and interest that Gary had, because Gary’s interest and devotion to the project was one of the reasons the movie was so good. I was hopeful Francis would, and now my small, niggling worried about him are all gone. He’s interested, committed and chooses brilliant actors.

Also, last week you talked about Les Miserables- I went to see it yesterday and saw the similarities you were talking about. I’d recommend it heartily for any HG fan with Hunger Games withdrawal symptoms until Catching Fire comes out.

• The Vaultmaster says:

Where is my mind- *worries.

• Isaac says:

The EW cover is so epic! I love how they are making it more of a science fiction movie, You didnt really get the feel of it in the first movie. I love Gary Ross, I think he made an amazing film but im starting to like Francis’ vision a little bit more. The costumes already look fantastic, especially Gale’s gloves. I feel bad for Sam. I am very disappointed with the fandom for saying stuff like “don’t mess this up or we will kill you.” In the interview Sam said he is REALLY trying to live up to fans expectations. I love his attitude even though many people are still hating on him.

I hope you guys can read the reason why they chose Finnick on the show so everyone knows who they were looking for and why sam was chosen :)

• Jessyca says:

couldn’t of said it better! I know people will come around once they see him perform.

• RE the trailer drop you discussed last week, if I had to make a guess I’d say it will go out with one of the two really big summer movies; either Iron Man or Star Trek. If they wait until later it may go out with Man of Steel – but the other two are guaranteed to be massive, Man of Steel might not be so big. It could be interesting to see what movie they launch the trailer with.

• Tash says:

The EW cover is just amazing, I am so rapt to see both Finnick and Katniss on the cover together, great marketing by Lionsgate – give the fans what they want to see and provide an interesting hook to bring in some new fans as well.

Plus, Sam looks perfect! I had already thrown my support behind him since his announcement and now I am feeling 100% confident he has nailed the role. Plus he sounded so genuinely terrified in his interview, how can the fandom not love him!?

• Is it me or is the dress a little toned down from the first movie? I know it’s early and only a few shots of capital citizens but still looks less crazy. I haven’t seen HG in a few months though. Maybe i need to go back and watch it.

• Satsuma says:

Re EW: The pictures are amazing; I also thought that whoever chose which photos would be released was very savvy, since they seem to refer to major scenes, without actually showing them. They show Gale being arrested, but not whipped. They show Finnick flirting with Katniss, but not the actual “sugar cube scene”.

Re Finnick, I really liked the self-deprecating comments from Sam Claflin, though I also felt really bad for him. While he might have been joking with the “Don’t mess this up, or we will kill you”, I suspect he really has received quasi-death threats, considering all the criticism he’s received merely for not looking the part.

There is MUCH more to Finnick’s story arc than being a “sex god”, especially in Mockingjay, and since he’ll appear in TWO movies for MJ, as opposed to half of CF; I totally understand why Jacobson and others chose someone who had BOTH the “swagger” and the “soulfulness”. A lot of what people consider “sexy” is very subjective, and I think it’s much more important that we got someone who can delve into the depths of what makes Finnick who he is, especially in MJ.

As for Bonnie and Twill being cut; I wasn’t surprised or disappointed by this. Their role is simply to give Katniss information about the D8 rebellion, and have her realize that D13 might have survived the war. The movie can easily provide this information without B and T. I strongly believe that in the movie, the D8 rebellion will start DURING the Victory Tour. After all, why hype up the “every revolution begins with a spark” theme, if you’re not planning on showing the revolution? Even if it doesn’t, Katniss can still see the rebellion footage on TV at the Mayor’s House (or perhaps Snow’s Mansion), or find out about the rebellion from other people, such as the D8 tributes in the Games.

As for D13, Katniss knowing about it isn’t actually essential to the plot of CF, and many other people could give her the information. Maybe Haymitch will (though I realize this will depart from the book). Or perhaps Gale will comment, after Katniss tells him about the D8 rebellion, that he believes D13 survived because he noticed the Capitol footage of the “ruins” are merely re-runs. It’s pretty common in movies to have major characters “take over” minor characters actions, such as having Arwen, not Glorfindel, raise the river to stop the Nazgul in LotR.

I was more disappointed at Darius being cut. Mostly because his character shows that decent Peacekeepers do exist. Especially considering the new PK uniform design that reminds of the Star Wars Stormtroopers, and seems to dehumanize them by keeping their faces hidden. I’m concerned that the moviegoers will assume they are meant to be nameless, faceless cannon fodder like the SW Stormtroopers, which is far from the message of the books. Though we know Cray was cast, and I wonder if he will be the one who tries to stop Thread — I can see the movie tweakng things so that he’s demoted from the Head Peacekeeper position, but not completely removed from the force until after he defies Thread.

• Addy says:

I honestly have NO idea why but I really love the picture with the scene where katniss and finnick are at the rope station. It looks EXACTLY how I imagined it. I like presidents snows new look. It looks more like what I imagined. And I absolutely love the one where peeta and katniss are in district 11 I think. I think they are at district 11 because it looks like the part when Katniss decides to give a speech about rue and thresh. And at the people’s choice awards I was thrilled that hg won almost all there awards! I feel proud because it proves that we have a strong loyal fan base.

The article was great. Having official interviews and stills is so much better than trying to analyse the scraps we’ve had so far! :) Love the picture of Sam and Jen especially.

I was disappointed but not surprised to hear about Darius, Bonnie and Twill being cut. Unlike some of the fans, I do realise why they have to do this. Darius would require so much character set up to be meaningful that it would really eat into the story time. As for Bonnie and Twill, their scenes would be so exposition heavy and pace-killing – which just plain makes for a bad movie. There was something Nina Jacobson said that really resonated with me, about the emotional points being more important than getting all the details right. This is totally my priority too and I’m glad she realises it. What is the point of having a bunch of people say and do a whole list of stuff, if you don’t feel the meaning and significance of it?

Overall, I was left with the feeling that Francis Lawrence, Nina Jacobson and Jen really get what the story is about – and I find that very comforting. Although, I am seriously intrigued now, about how they are going to set up D13…

• Unsocializedhomeschooler says:

Around this time last year, I think someone on the show (was it Adam?) predicted that the Hunger Games wouldn’t get as many awards or nominations, since it’d been released early in the year, and has slowly moved slightly father back in peoples minds. I’m sure no one has forgotten it yet, but many people seem to forget that The Hunger Games is even a competitor–most of 2012′s big movies came out in the last few months–since it was released nearly a year ago.
    That’s not saying the movie doesn’t deserve any rewards or nominations–if it was up to me it’d win in all categories–but it’s still not surprising how little attention the movie has gotten this season.

• Kasey V says:

It was very exciting to pick up the EW magazine! Loved seeing the cover and all the pictures that were officially released! Everyone looks great as their characters.

Reading Jen’s interview was a treat. I did find myself giggling at some of her responses!

After reading the article I feel that Francis Lawrence and Nina Jacobson are doing really well with this film! As well as all the actors.

I am excited to see Sam as Finnick… I did feel bad for him. With him seeing that some were posting “Get this right or we will Kill you.” *sighs* I have a feeling he will prove them wrong. But will shall see.

The People’s choice was exciting!! Six out of Seven awards for the Hunger Games!! WOOT!!

While Hunger Games only got one semi nomination for “Safe and Sound” via Taylor Swift. I am still really excited for Jen winning best actress for Silver Linings Playbook! Well deserved!! :D

Even though the Hunger Games wasn’t nominated for any critics or golden globes the fact that we have a cast that has been nominated and winning these awards is enough for me. We have a talented bunch of actors that know how to choose a script. They don’t just do it for “Blockbuster” sake. Quality over popularity… and Hunger Games just happens to have both.

• Gregory says:

I really love the Victory Tour banners in the still with Katniss and Peeta. one of my complaints about the first film was that everything looked kinda fake-y; it’s reassuring to know CF will not. Plus they add to the depressing atmosphere. :-D

• i am a little worried in the Katniss / peeta still, because Katniss is the one holding the card with the microphone and talking, when Peeta is usually the one that is supposed to be talking. And its not her last-minute thank you to rue and thresh, because she is holding a card, and her speech came off of the top of her head. so yeah im a little worried that theyll take peeta’s wonderful talking element from the film.

• roci says:

That thought has also crossed my mind. I think one of the downsides of translating the book into film was sacrificing many aspects of Peeta´s character, his way with words, his wit, and humor- I too worry that they will simplify his character so much that movie-goers will question why Katniss would choose him. Having said that, let´s not fret over a picture. Leave it to hg fans jump into conclusions after one picture! lol

• Maybe she’s holding a card exactly because she isn’t good with talking so she tries to read the lines and it’s awkward, while Peeta steps up an gives a good speech. I doubt that they’re going to be making Katniss the epitome of human perfection who gives great speeches while Peeta just stands around.

• starfishtony says:

Talk about the new principal photography/shooting schedule! Also the potential of re shoots!

We will next week! :D

• CJaY says:

I really love the look of everything so far! I do hope that Nina or Francis will make some comment about how the Katniss/Peeta story line is going, and if they are happy with their work. They said Liam and Jennifer had amazing chemistry, and talked a lot about Sam, but nothing about Josh. Silence always makes me a little worried even though I know I probably shouldn’t be.

• @CJaY: They talked about Sam because he’s a new character and new cast member that everyone is wondering how he’s going to do. We don’t see the context, but Francis probably talked about Liam and his chemistry with Jennifer and he scenes they filmed because EW specifically asked him about Liam, and put that text to accompany the behind the scenes shot. I’d be very surprised if they just asked him “Do you want to talk about something” and he started talking about Liam and nothing else just all on his own. (Especially since EW since to have a thing for Liam, they nominated him for “Favorite Actor” in their poll for readers to vote, but didn’t nominate Josh.) Nina was only quoted talking about how this is the book where we have to understand the pull that Katniss feels for both Peeta and Gale. Which is true, just as the implied subtext is true, that this is not the case with the next one.