#59 Fireside Chat: Who Should Play Plutarch? Saturday 19 May, 2012

“Who Should Play Plutarch?”

If you missed Episode 59 live last night, you can listen to it recorded here or use the embedded player below!

(The awesome Plutarch fan art to the left is by concealthief.deviantart.com!)

Episode 59 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, May 21, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include some of our fabulous friends from Down with the Capitol, Crystal from Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Sam from Sam Cushion Music, Rebekah from Victor’s Village, Ariel of Nerdy, Wordy, and Almost Thirty, and Natalie of Crushable!

If you missed last week’s Beetee and Wiress episode, click here to listen!

Here’s what we have on tap for Episode 59:

– We’ll continue our Catching Fire casting series by discussing new Head Gamemaker Plutarch Heavensbee and who we — and you — think should play him on the big screen. Leave a comment here and let us know who you want to play Plutarch and why, and we might share your thoughts on the air!

– We’ll do a round of Pick a Page and discuss a randomly selected page from Catching Fire. Get those books ready!

– We’ll conclude with a Gamemaker-themed round of Cave, Marry, Kill.

“We had to save you because you’re the mockingjay, Katniss. While you live, the revolution lives.”

— Plutarch Heavensbee, ‘Catching Fire’

Adam Spunberg (Host): @AdamSpunberg
Savanna New (Co-Host/Producer): @MlleNouveau
Down with the Capitol: @HungerGamesDWTC
Sam: @sam_cushion
Rebekah: @Rebekahdg / @VictorsVillage
Natalie: @nataliezutter / @crushabledotcom

#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2
#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore

• Alison says:

Following on from last week’s discussion, and a name that was mentioned – I think that John Barrowman would make a perfect Plutarch. He’s got the perfect mix of flamboyant and caring.

And if we could get David Tennant as Beetee it would be fab.

I like Phillip Seymour hoffman for Plutarch

• Ellie says:

I saw a suggestion for Gary Oldman somewhere, and I really like that idea! He is an awesome actor, and he’s basically who I picture when I read the books.

• Alison B says:

I pictured Jim Broadbent as Plutarch but it’s not really a big deal to me who is cast as long as they keep the right personality.

• Grace says:

Although many people will surely laugh at this suggestion– what about Neil Patrick Harris? I’ve always seen Plutarch as a comical character and Harris is surely comical, if not a little too comical.
    I could totally see him dancing with Katniss and showing her the watch, then raving about Coffee in Mockingjay. If he can act a few serious scenes along with some comical ones, he is definitely my Plutarch.

• MY GRANDMA, MRS POOPINGTON THE FIRST

• Sarah says:

I think Thomas Gibson from Criminal Minds would be an interesting choice..he can do both comedy and serious and is kind of how in the age range of how I pictured Plutarch. Or I can picture possibly as Romulus Thread if they keep his character in the movie. Which I hope.

• Savanah says:

I always pictured Plutarch as being younger than most imagine, like in his forties.

Kiefer Sutherland is who I have always imagined. (And hey– then it can be a father-son project!)

• Miranda says:

I’ve been saying this for a little while- I think Paul Giamatti would make such a great Plutarch! I watched the movie Cinderella Man (for which he was nominated for an oscar with his performance) a few months ago and because I have this weird habit of when I see a great actor in a movie I’m watching I think- “who could they play in The Hunger Games movies?” and I though Paul would be wonderful as Plutarch. He is a very capable and known actor- and he has blown me away in his work. 😀

• Savana G says:

i also saw plutarch as a bit of a comic relief character so actors Cary Elwes, Jon goodman, Oliver Platt (Big C), or even Mark Addy (Game of Thrones) would be great options!

• WallyTsoni says:

It’s really tough, maybe John Goodman (The Flinstones), Dan Aykroyd (Ghostbusters). My favorite for the role right now is Yorick van Wageningen (the only problem is that I don’t think he’ll ever stop being “a Sadistic pig and Rapist” in our minds)

• Ellie says:

Ammending my original post to suggest the possibility of Christian Bale and Leonardo DiCaprio. Although they are both recognizable, they’re both still incredible actors and I think they could bring much to the role and they’re of the point where I can still separate character from actor, especially if they do a good job.

• Colin says:

This is going to sound crazy but I think Tom Arnold would be cool. I always pictured Plutarch as flamboyant and Tom Arnold has the comedy chops and can do drama, too, see Happy Endings.

• Grace says:

What about Brendan Coyle from Downton Abbey? He plays such a likeable character….

• Dude from Germany says:

Two Words: BILL MURRAY *applaud*

• […] (go subscribe!). If you missed Episode 59 LIVE on Monday night, you can — and should — click here to listen to the whole show! Episode 59 was all about new Head Gamemaker Plutarch Heavensbee and […]

• […] If you missed last week’s Plutarch episode, click here to listen! […]

• […] that Hoffman would even take the role, but we’ve got our fingers crossed! In the meantime, listen to this Hunger Games Fireside Chat episode from a few weeks back where we pitch our other ideas for Plutarch. (I suggested Robin Williams, […]