#58 Fireside Chat: Who Should Play Beetee and Wiress? Saturday 12 May, 2012

“Who Should Play Beetee and Wiress?”

Miss Episode 58 live last night? That’s okay! You can listen to it recorded here or simply use the awesome embedded player below!

(The beautiful Beetee/Wiress fan art to the left is by hladzo.deviantart.com!)

Episode 58 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, May 14, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include some of our fabulous friends from Down with the Capitol, Sam from Sam Cushion Music, Crystal from Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Tiffany and Rebekah from Victor’s Village, and Ariel of Nerdy, Wordy, and Almost Thirty!

If you missed last week’s Johanna episode, click here to listen!

– We’ll continue our Catching Fire casting series by talking all about District 3 victors Beetee and Wiress. We’ll discuss the qualities our future Nuts and Volts need to possess and also talk about fan favorites like Michael Emerson. And, of course, we’ll share some of OUR top picks for the roles! Leave a comment here and let us know who you want to play Beetee and/or Wiress and why, and we might share your thoughts on the air!

– We’ll do a round of Pick a Page and discuss a randomly selected page from Catching Fire. Get those books ready!

– To conclude, we’ll explore a couple of Beetee and Wiress-related Crackpot Theories: Were Beetee and Wiress in a romantic relationship? Did Beetee have something to do with Katniss and Peeta’s chariot costumes in The Hunger Games?

“Beetee is still messing around the tree, doing I don’t know what, taking measurements and such. At one point he snaps off a sliver of bark, joins us, and throws it against the force field. It bounces back and lands on the ground, glowing. In a few moments it returns to its original color. ‘Well, that explains a lot,’ says Beetee. I look at Peeta and can’t help biting my lip to keep from laughing since it explains absolutely nothing to anyone but Beetee.”

“‘Tick, tock,’ whispers Wiress. I guide her in front of me and get her to lie down, stroking her arm to soothe her. She drifts off, stirring restlessly, occasionally sighing out her phrase. ‘Tick, tock.’ ‘Tick, tock,’ I agree softly. ‘It’s time for bed. Tick, tock. Go to sleep.'”

— ‘Catching Fire’

Adam Spunberg (Host): @AdamSpunberg
Savanna New (Co-Host/Producer): @MlleNouveau
Down with the Capitol: @HungerGamesDWTC
Sam: @sam_cushion
Tiffany: @twiffidy / @VictorsVillage
Rebekah: @Rebekahdg / @VictorsVillage

#98 Fireside Chat: Capitol Portraits
#98 Fireside Chat: Capitol Portraits
Fansite Exclusive: Beetee’s Capitol Portrait Revealed
Fansite Exclusive: Beetee’s Capitol Portrait Revealed
News

• Miranda says:

I think David Tennant would make such a cool Beetee!!! He seems to look the part to me and is a magnificent actor. It would be incredible if we got Tennant into this franchise.

• Ellie says:

I’m not sure about Wiress, but I really like the idea of Ewan McGregor for Beetee. He’s the right age, he’s a good actor and I’d definitely buy him as someone who was very smart- I don’t know, I can definitely see him in the role though.

• Colin says:

Beetee-Hank Azaria He can do drama (see “Huff”) and comedy really well. He’s also the right age.

Wiress-Rachel Weisz or Sandra Bullock although they’re probably too big for the role. This is an obscure choice but I think Daniela Amavia (Children of Dune) would be perfect. She doesn’t do a lot of film though.

• Grace says:

In Catching Fire, it says that Wiress is about Katniss Mom’s age. (Pg. 226 “The woman, Wiress, is probably around my mothers age”) Which seems to be something people keep forgetting. So the actress that plays Wiress will need to look the same age as Katniss’s mom for the movie. With that being said, Helena Bonham Carter might be a good choice. She’s in her forties, which is about Katniss’s moms age, and she’s already proven that she can handle dramatic characters, like in Harry Potter.
    If they could age Adam Scott by 20 years, he might be good for Beetee. He’s played the nerdy guy before in Parks and Recreation, and (again, if they can age him with out making him look 80) he really could look the part. However, the pair of them might be odd together, since Carter is 7 years older than Scott.

• Miranda says:

Oooh I’d LOVE LOVE LOVE Helena Bonham Carter. She is incredible and could totally play that sort of wacky character. But she’s a huge star so I doubt she’d take a role that small.

• WallyTsoni says:

I think John Billingsley looks like Beetee, a bit fat, but he’s ok. And Michael Emerson’s another of my candidates.

Wiress… mmm I don’t have a clue, maybe Carol Kane, but I really don’t know.

• Colin says:

John Blillingsly is a great idea! Good call!

Beetee: Micheal Emerson… need I say more.
    Wiress: Gillian Jacobs from Community. She played in this movie called Garden of the night which was heart breathtakingly sad. She’s known for her comedy but she can REALLY do some Drama. I could totally see her pulling off crazy.

Or Rachel McAdams, I haven’t seen her play crazy but she’s an AMAZING underrated actress!

• Miranda says:

I think Eva Green would make a really cool Wiress. That’s how I pictured her and I could definitely see her playing that quirky genius type character.

• Colin says:

Just thought of him, Jeffery DeMunn!

• Colin says:

If Beetee is Asian how about Hiro Kanagawa from Caprica.

• Isabel says:

I actually really enjoy Michael Emerson as a fan cast. He is now in the show “Person of Interest” and it is very Beetee like to me 🙂 I know not everyone agrees with that. But he can do more than look the part, in person of interest he is an introverted, computer loving, problem solving, epic actor and he could totally pull it off. I am just worried about his scheduling.

• Emma says:

Raphael Sbarge from Once Upon A Time as BeeTee!! He’d be perfect!

• cefranco2 says:

LOL, Adam made me bust out laughing at work when he said “Mag’s never did it for him..” OMG…

• Heather says:

what about
    Zoe Saldana for Johanna
    Michelle Rodriguez for Enobaria
    Jamie Hyneman for Beetee 😉
    Whoopi Goldberg for Wiress

• Sae says:

HUGH LAURIE FOR BEETEE 😀

• Dude from Germany says:

As for me, while reading, I had Martin Freeman in mind for Beetee, knowing him from the fabulous BBC series “Sherlock”.
    What do you think of him?

• […] (go subscribe!). If you missed Episode 58 LIVE on Monday night, you can — and should — click here to listen to the whole show! Episode 58 was all about Beetee and Wiress and who should play them in […]

• […] If you missed last week’s Beetee and Wiress episode, click here to listen! […]

• […] as well. Sadly, I regret that I never did a fan-casting article on Wiress, and that when I was on the HG Fireside Chat which was focused on Wiress and Beetee’s casting, that I didn’t mention her. I just […]