#57 Fireside Chat: Who Should Play Johanna? Saturday 05 May, 2012

“Who Should Play Johanna?”

If you missed Episode 57 LIVE last night, no worries! You can listen to it recorded here or use the embedded player below!

(The beautiful Johanna fan art to the left is by maydian.deviantart.com!)

Episode 57 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, May 7, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include some of our fabulous friends from Down with the Capitol, Crystal from Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Kait from Victor’s Village, and Ariel of Nerdy, Wordy, and Almost Thirty!

If you missed last week’s Finnick episode, click here to listen!

– We’ll continue our Catching Fire casting series by talking all about District 7 victor Johanna Mason! We’ll discuss fan favorites like Naya Rivera and Kristen Bell and also share some of OUR top picks. We’ll also discuss the qualities that we think our future Johanna MUST possess. Leave a comment here and let us know who you want to play Johanna and why, and we might share your thoughts on the air!

– We’ll do a round of Pick a Page and discuss a randomly selected page from Catching Fire. Get your books ready!

– To conclude, we’ll share our thoughts on a VERY interesting Johanna-related Crackpot Theory: Given her last name (Mason), could Johanna actually be from District 2?

“They can’t hurt me. I’m not like the rest of you. There’s no one left I love.”
— Johanna Mason, ‘Catching Fire’

Adam Spunberg (Host): @AdamSpunberg
Savanna New (Co-Host/Producer): @MlleNouveau
Down with the Capitol: @HungerGamesDWTC

#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2
#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore

• WallyTsoni says:

I think Lynn Collins could be a great Johanna, she actually looks kind of like I imagined Johanna.

• Grace says:

There is a girl on YouTube (Linna Carter) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt4Vk1mRwWs who made her own fan video. Now when ever I think of Johanna, I think of her. In my mind, her emotions are perfect, and she can really look hostile without making her unlikeable.
    However, if Adam Spunberg gets cast as Finnick, shouldn’t Savanna New be Johanna?

• Terezka says:

I think that Naya Rivera should be cast as Johanna Mason. She was who I pictured when I read the books, and even though I only know her from glee, I think that she has that certain ‘tough’ quality that Johanna needs, but I also think that she’d be capable of playing a mentally scarred person. When I see her portraying Santana on Glee, I can’t help but think just how much like Johanna she is.

• Lilly Jordans says:

I think they should go with someone unknown with talent and passion. I really love Linnea Asberg for the role. Here’s her youtube audition tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PfsIkqRcQ

• Jane says:

All I know is that I do not want Kristen Bell and Naya Rivera, because they will overplay Johanna’s badassness into the cliché, with badass catchphrases, winking and slow-motion hair tossing (well, what little hair Johanna has). I feel that Johanna is as far from that cliché action movie chick, as Katniss is from Barbie. Johanna is a genuine, real human with as many flaws as eveyone else and that is how I believe she should be portrayed as a damaged, but real, and relatable woman.

So they need to find someone who simply will not overact Johanna and spill her character over into an axe-wielding Amazonian warrior queen, but play on the young woman who has been destroyed and been deprived of her family and loved ones by the Capitol, but still clinging on to being a strong, tough, and independent woman.

Because Johanna isn’t described too much in the book I don’t think that appearance should be that important only that Johanna is within the right age range and that they cut her hair short. They should just focus on finding a talented actress with passion for the character, and preferably she should be unknown as well, or only done small productions.

• Malin says:

(after reading above comments)

As much as I can see Naya Rivera as a fan favorite, I don’t agree 100%, and she will probably have a strict contract with Glee. I think Kristen Bell is a little too old, and I personally don’t like her that much as an actress. Linna Carter is amazing, but perhaps a little too old as well. That other girl from youtube, Linnea Asberg I really dig, perhaps a little young, but I loved her rawness, and intensity, and I’m really digging the eyebrows. hehe. Physically I think Ruth Negga is a perfect choice, I haven’t seen her act, but she is defiantly one of my favorties at least.

Personally I agree with some above comments, they should go with an unknown. Anyhoosers I trust that the casting directors will find the perfect Johanna and Finnick, I mean they did after all find Jennifer and Josh,. 🙂

• jenna says:

deffinately mila kunis, no thought about it! she just has the mean, bitchy sense, like i know she can really pull it off. She is perfect to play johanna

• ahmad wilson says:

I think emmy rossum should play johanna she sorta has johanna mason material if you watch the show shameless

• Dana says:

For one at the beginning of the book she has long brown hair, and then she chops it all off. But I think Johanna should be played by Mila Kunitz, because she’ll have the ‘badass’ look while also being the girl the capitol has hurt so many times, and she won’t make the ‘badass’ obvious or cliché she’ll just show it thru good acting.

• Miranda says:

Emma Stone! I like her because she isn’t a typical choice. Yes, she is a funny lady but we know she can play serious. I didn’t picture someone that looks like her as Johanna as I was reading the book but I think she would be great. Plus- she has apparently read the books. 😀

• Billie says:

I love Naya for Johanna, her character on Glee is very similar. She can pull off cold, tough, and brutally honest. The only thing is she may look too young. I think there are lots of great actress who could pull off this role. I can see Emmy Rossum or Evan Rachel Wood doing it. It’s weird I can think of a bunch of great Johannas but only a hand full of guys who I think would do Finnick justice.

• WallyTsoni says:

Looking back, I think Kristen Bell look a lot like Johanna, also I’d love Lynn Collins (as I posted before), but I think Rooney Mara would ACT like Johanna, she can totally nail the attitude of Johanna, great great actress

• Amanda T. says:

I have no idea who should play Johanna :/ maybe this episode will help.

• Deb says:

My top pick would be Kate Mara, but Krysten Ritter could also work.

• i think scarlett johanson couldplay johanna after avengers

• troian bellisario WOULD BE PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Miranda says:

What about Gemma Arterton? Or Olivia Wilde maybe?

• KatM says:

Yvonne Strahovski would be an awesome Johanna. She proved that she has the acting chops and physicality to play the role during while on Chuck. Check out the episode Chuck vs The Phase Three in Season 4 or Chuck vs The Baby in Season 5 to get sample of what she can do. Plus she looks amazing. Check out the SOBE coconut water adds where she wears full body paint.

• Catnip says:

I always pictured Mila Kunis as Johanna Mason…

Well my fantasy picks are this

Kristen Bell ( loved on heroes and Veronica Mars , and HG fan too)
    Milla Jovovich ( a bit older but , very beautiful and young looking)

Summer Glau ( amazing action star, sexy too)

• Heather says:

What about Anna Popplewell…. she totally has the range for the part, plus she’s has experience but isn’t too well known?

If not Anna then I’m totally for: Yvonne Strahovski! LOVED her on Chuck and she’d also be great for Johanna =)

• Bii Leto says:

Mila Kunis or Rooney Mara, defitenly !
    Those two actrices have shown the world they’re perfect to the role, I guess !

• Dude from Germany says:

For all of you Game of Throne fans, I’d like to throw in Sibel Kekilli for playing the part of Johanna. She’s playing Shae the concubine of Tyrion Lannister and to my opinion brings both the fire and the beauty for the role.

Anyone has considered her?

• Delly Cartwright says:

I think Phoebe Tonkin all the way!!!

• Mike612 says:

Nathalie Paulding is Johanna Mason! Check out her video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmURBSDXP08

• […] listen live, please click here, and for more information on tonight’s episode, visit here!  Share this: This entry was posted in Cast & Crew, Catching Fire, Fan Creations, […]

• […] YouTube channel (go subscribe!). If you missed Episode 57 LIVE on Monday night, no worries! You can click here to listen to the whole show! Episode 57 was all about Johanna and who should/could play her in the […]

• […] If you missed last week’s Johanna episode, click here to listen! […]