#56 Fireside Chat: Who Should Play Finnick? Sunday 29 April, 2012

“Who Should Play Finnick?”

If you weren’t able to listen to Episode 56 LIVE last night, you can catch it recorded here, or just use the embedded player below!

(The AMAZING Finnick fan art to the left is by thanfiction.deviantart.com!)

Episode 56 of Hunger Games Fireside Chat will air live this Monday, April 30, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include some of our fabulous friends from Down with the Capitol, Crystal from Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Rebekah from Victor’s Village, and Courtney of Welcome to District 12!

If you’ve got a thing for the Man with the Trident, then this episode is for you!

– We’ll kick off our Catching Fire casting series by talking all about the famous Finnick Odair! We’ll discuss fan favorites, our favorites, YOUR favorites, and the qualities that we think our future Finnick MUST possess. Leave a comment here and let us know who you want to play Finnick and why, and we might share your thoughts on the air!

– Additionally, we’ll bring back Pick a Page and chat about a randomly selected page from Catching Fire. Get your books ready!

– To conclude, we’ll debate the validity of a Finnick-centric Crackpot Theory.

Want a sugar cube?

Adam Spunberg (Host): @AdamSpunberg
Savanna New (Co-Host/Producer): @MlleNouveau
Down with the Capitol: @HungerGamesDWTC
Rebekah: @Rebekahdg / @VictorsVillage

#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2
#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore

• Alison says:

To me Armie Hammer is perfect. He is exactly how I pictured Finnick and I definitely think he is talented enough to play such a complicated yet charming character.

• Deb says:

After watching tonight’s episode of Game Of Thrones and seeing Joe Dempsie (Gendry) shirtless and mussed-up, I’m thinking throw some bronze dye on his hair, and there’s Finnick. (Oh, and he’s also quite a good actor, too.)

• Ronnie says:

ARMIE HAMMER!!!!!!!!!

• Sam says:

Garrett Hedlund! Thought his acting was pretty good in Tron Legacy. He’ absolutely gorgeous. I think Armie Hammer looks the part, but I have no clue what his acting skills are like. If Grant Gustin was six years older, he’d be perfect for Finnick, but he’s pretty much younger than Liam…

• Rocio Díaz Zapata says:

I think it should be someone who has as great looks as Lachlan Buchanan… but i am bit skeptical on weather he could pull off such a complicated character as Finnick Odair. That’s why in terms of acting someone like Freddie Stroma or even Zac Efron would be able to achive that.
    The bad thing is that I really don’t think there is one guy in this world who can live up to my expectations of Finnick; a charming, somewhat naughty yet romantic guy with the leanest body, sun kissed skin, beautiful golden hair, and the most gorgeous green eyes.

• Nicole says:

I think James Gaisford should play Finnick because not only does he have that Finnicky sort of look, but he also could potentially have that Finnick mentality.

• Lisa C says:

Nick Roux!!! (from Jane By Design and lemonade mouth)…Y you ask?..Because he is super cute, he can play in a variety of roles..sweet, fierce, intense, ect. Nick Really wants this role, and I know he will do whatever he needs to, for the role..such as changing his hair color, hitting the gym ect. To see images of him as finnick Go here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nick-Roux-for-Finnick-Odair/201612126619956 Thanks!

I like garret hedlund very cute and talented actor love him in tron

Also he is old enough to Finnick , it is years later though he won the games as an adult he is still young looking

• Melanie says:

I think that Jensen Ackles, from Supernatural, would make an amazing Finnick Odair. Not only does he look exactly like Finnick to me but he has an emotional depth and sincerity in his performance that is not usually seen in a show on the CW. He also has a sarcastic sensibility to him that I think fits Finnick very well.

Love you guys and love the show.

-Mela

• NickRouxGang says:

Nick Roux definetly should be Finnick. He looks exactly like whats written in the book. He deserves it! @TheRealNickRoux

• Stephannie says:

yes i think Nick Roux should definetly be Finnick..

• Jada T. says:

NICK ROUX DEFINATLY SHOULD PLAY FINNICK! HE HAD THE BODY THE LOOKS AND THE PERFECT PERSONALITY TO PLAY HIM! LOOK HIM UP IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHO HE IS… OH AND BTW THIS IS A ROLE THAT NICK ROUX REALY WANTS YOU CAN EVEN ASK HIM ON TWITTER @TheRealNickRoux

• Melanie says:

I just want to state the obvious that um Finnick is suppossed to be 8 years older than Katniss and Peeta. Nick roux is the same age as Jennifer Lawerence. I think to convey the age difference they are going to have to cast older than “book Finnick.” With that in mind I think we should be looking for actors in the 27-32 age range.

• Lisa C. says:

Thanks for your opinion Melanie. Nick Roux as well as many actors have played characters that were younger or older than they are! It Can be done. I know Nick can do it! If Anyone would like to see pics of Nick as Finnick, just click on my name! Thanks!

• Kysha Plante says:

Matt LeBlanc: “How you doin’?” just kidding how about Chris Hemsworth that would be weird in a good way

• Jess says:

Nick Roux 🙂 I’m sure he would be perfect! And he wants this role!

• Alison says:

I wish people would stop saying Nick Roux. I don’t find him nearly as attractive as Finnick is supposed to be and he hardly has any acting experience.

• Hannah says:

NICK ROUX! He matches the description perfectly and he’d be great at playing the role of Finnick, he really wants this role too… It’d be amazing if he was cast.

• Moira says:

Garrett Hedlund! His looks are absolutely perfect for Finnick! As for his acting, I will admit to not seeing TRON Legacy (yet!), but I’ve heard his acting is AMAZING 😀

• Miranda says:

Armie Hammer SCREAMS Finnick. Here is my argument on hwy he is perfect, all the odds are in his favor-

1. Look wise, he is perfect. Finnick needs to look like a masterpiece. Armie has that. He is VERY tall, his voice is endearing, and he looks like a prince!- plus HE LOOKS LIKE A MAN. I’ve seen too many people wanting to cast people who can pass as high schoolers for Finnick, which will not do. Especially when Jennifer already looks a bit old.

2. He is the perfect age!!! Finnick is 24, Armie is 25!

3. NO DOUBT- HE CAN ACT. He has a Screen Actors Guild nomination, and has been in major movies. There is no denying his talent.

4. His charisma is through the roof. He is hilarious, charming, and could pull off Finnick’s dialogue effortlessly. Seriously, I DARE you to watch an Armie Hammer interview and not fall in love with him.

BONUS: He grew up in the Caymen Islands fishing for food, AND he has said in an interview HE. TIES. KNOTS. This man IS Finnick.

No other Finnick fancast can say they have all of these assets that Armie possesses.

• Miranda says:

… not to mention Armie’s FAN SUPPORT! His Facbeook page have ver 1,050 likes… WAY MORE than any other fancast. He is perfect. Perfect is an understatement.

• Mickey says:

Justin Hartley would be a perfect Finnick. His best role is in Smallville as Oliver Queen (Green Arrow). Oliver is known as a rich playboy who, at first, comes off cockey just like Finnick. Also like Finnick, Oliver cares deeply for what he belives in and would protect the the woman his loves at all cost, by the end of the series Oliver was a true hero. Justin Hartley protrayed Oliver wonderfully (who ever has seen Smallville knows the roller coster ride Oliver goes through). Oliver Queen and Finnick Odair are not %100 identical but they are very similar. Justin Hartley playing in Finnick would be like the way Jennifer Lawrence played Ree in Winter’s Bone and than Katniss. Plus if you look him up you can find a picture where he’s standing shirtless in the water. If that ain’t Finnick I don’t know what is.

• Hannah says:

Armie Hammer would be so great as Finnick! As soon as I saw him in Mirror Mirror, I was sold! I thought I was alone in that for a while, but after seeing how many people agree, I’m back to hoping!

• Alison says:

How about Chris Evans. He could pull off the charming cad (see What’s my number) and the Hero (Captain America).

And he’s very very easy on the eye. And in the age range.

Big problem is he’s almost A list now, and this is a supporting role.

But I think he’d be great.

• Ana Santana says:

William Levy. He’s perfect in every way. I think that the latin american community would be very supportive of this!!

• Ellie says:

I would say Chris Evans!

• Grace says:

SPUNBERG for FINNICK!
    He knows this series BACKWARDS and FORWARDS and he’d add a nice comedic touch to the franchise. Please, SPUNBERG for Finnick, and lets do CF right!

• Miranda says:

How about Ryan Gosling?

• Janey says:

I pictured Trevor Donovan as Finnick Odair. He has the beauty, charm and surfacey confidence Finnick Posses.

• Janey says:

No movie stars for Finnick! Armie Hammer is too big of a star and he is a multi millionaire

• Shannon says:

nick roux! chose him… he’s perfect!!!

• cefranco2 says:

The funniest part of this episode was listening to all the women GUSH over all the possibilities. I mean, i was cracking up!

Of the ones listed, Armie is most likely the best choice but I do bet the studio’s don’t like that fact that he’s married. Men could care less of a women is married but women, thank goodness, are different. But Armie’s marriage isn’t so public that it’ll cause any issue with his role. Just don’t expect his wife with him at any events if he got the role.

• michelle says:

hey I see William Levy on those Telenovelas because my family is hispanic and I can said he is very good actor, he did a lot of characters in which they have a lot of depth so he can act good and super freaking hot!! hey another suggestion for finnick will be Colton Haynes from teen wolf and also he is big hunger games fan

• Lisa C. says:

Thank You Everyone for commenting about Nick Roux as Finnick! Thank You to firesidechat for Mentioning him in the show! I wasn’t able to catch the show last night, because I had to work. Nick is almost 22 yrs old. Normally he doesn’t look as young as his charaster on Jane By Design, they have a fantastic makeup and Hair team that help him become “Billy”! I know he can and will do whatever it takes to better fit into the role of Finnick! My opinion is that he is Perfect already! I know He can do it! Good Luck Nick! Your #Rouxers and #Lemon-Heads are behind you 100%! #Rouxersgohard!

• Haley W says:

I think Matt Lanter would be a good one. Armie Hammer would definitely be my second choice. Zac Efron? No. Very sexy, but not very Finnick-y. I love Nick Roux’s hair and he could be a good Finnick, but I don’t think he has the sex appeal that Finnick portrays. Remember, Finnick is a stud who knows how to woo the ladies.

• Skye says:

Nick roux is the best option.

• I love Peeniss and Clato!!! says:

James Gaisford!!!!
    He’s so adorable and cut an HOT!!!!
    He’s just perfect as Finnick, I love him!!!!!

• I love Peeniss and Clato!!! says:

I mean cute, not cut, sorry 🙁

• Carissa says:

Nick Roux would be a great choice. He is a good actor without being so big like some of the others in these comments. He also really would enjoy being Finnick. He has said so many times on his Facebook about how interested he is in the role.

• Noel says:

I think that Benjamin Stone from The Nine Lives of Chloe King (it doesn’t air anymore though) would be a PERFECT CHOICE! I mean, he he has all of the qualities of Finnick, and he really reminds me of him. If you have never heard if him, look up his episodes on Youtube. He is also a really good actor!

• Kelina says:

Nick Roux would be AWESOME. Looking at other pictures, he can easily be made to look older.

• Megan says:

CHANNING TATUM!!!!!

• liberty3 says:

ryan mcgrady. that is all.

• Chani says:

Chris Evans would be a perfect Finnick…as long as he’s just as built!!:)

• Lisa C. says:

Thank You to Everyone who helped get Nick Roux on this show, and who is behind him 100% in his Quest to get the Role of Finnick Odair in Catching Fire! Please Follow Nick on facebook, and Twitter! Here is My Nick Roux Page as well…You will find many more Rouxers there too! <3<3<3

• Billie says:

Jensen Ackles was always my favorite Finnick but you guys put some great new people in the mix. I really love the idea of Jesse Williams or William Levy as Finnick. I can also see why a lot of people want Armie Hammer or Garrett Hedlund, they are both great choices. I have some faith in the casting direct because he/she did a great job on the Hunger Games but man do they need to hurry up. I needed Finnick cast like yesterday!

• Kate A says:

I’m gonna be different and say Alex Pettyfer
    Orrrr James Gaisford maybe Zac Efron aswell. But really I’m gonna be happy as long as it isn’t some old guy some ugly guy or Taylor Lautner *shudder*

• Karen says:

I really hope they don’t cast someone younger than 24 to play Finnick. He has to look the part, and I don’t know of anyone who can play older than their age, without makeup. Some of these suggestions are just too young and too boyish looking. I want to look at a man when I watch this movie, not Justin Biebier’s twin. 🙂 I’m a fan of Justin Hartley, but Armie would do.

• Alyssa says:

first off when i watch this movie i wanna see someone who matches the description in the book and who is just yummy lets face it. lol but really Nick Roux is perfect. hes got a huge fan base. he llooks ALOT older then he is and hes very versatile not to mention he has the looks that u can change into what ever u want them to be! all i know is i know over a dozen girls just in my circle of friend who woould see that moie several times wile its in theaters just because he was in it! hed be perfect i dnt know y people dnt think so. Nick Roux should and will be Finnick<3

• Naomi says:

Alex Pettyfer or Grant Gustin. (Being different here) I would say Chris Hemsworth but it would be weird being Liam Hemsworth’s brother.

• Me says:

I vote for Lucas Till

• Jayde says:

Nick Roux!!!

• Dude from Germany says:

While I was literally eating up the books last week – and right before totally fanboying out about them – I had a very distinct image of Finnick in my mind and through your podcast (that I just stumbled over yesterday) I finally know this actor’s name. Thanks for that!

… it was Alex Pettyfer by the way.

• lebug13 says:

How about Justin Hartley or Alan Ritchson?? Both around 30 years old, and BOTH have played the role of Aquaman…

• […] YouTube channel (go subscribe!). If you missed Episode 56 LIVE on Monday night, no worries! You can click here to listen to the whole show! Episode 56 was all about Finnick and who should/could play him in the […]

• […] If you missed last week’s Finnick episode, click here to listen! […]