Official: Sam Claflin Cast as Finnick Odair Wednesday 22 August, 2012

After basically a month of speculation, Lionsgate just announced that Sam Claflin will be playing Finnick Odair in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

You can follow him on Twitter at @samclaflin.

Click here for the full press release.
Click here for a fairly recent interview that Sam did with ShortList.com.
Click here for another interview with Sam about Pirates of the Caribbean.
Click here to watch Sam in a scene from Any Human Heart.
And click here to see Sam perform three scenes from The Rover for what appears to be some sort of audition. Note: He’s incredible in these.

And since so many of you have been wonder what Sam might sound like as Finnick, we uploaded a clip of him using an American accent in the Syfy TV movie The Lost Future:

About the Character:
Charismatic and clever, Finnick was a District 4 Hunger Games victor when he was fourteen.

Sam Claflin:
After breaking out in his role as the romantic lead in last year’s PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES, Claflin starred in the box office smash SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN playing Prince William alongside Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth. He recently finished filming THE QUIET ONES opposite Jarred Harris, and MARY & MARTHA, in which he co-stars with Hilary Swank.

Source: CatchingFireCasting.com

#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2
#123 Fireside Chat: Squad 451 & Soundtrack 2
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#122 Fireside Chat: Lyme and Paylor and Boggs — Oh My!
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore
#121 Fireside Chat: Hungry for Moore

• HungerGamesLover says:

I’m sorry, but he is absolutely not the Finnick that I imagined. His face isn’t that finnick-like. I’m very disapointet.

You don’t have to apologize for being disappointed! I’m incredibly disappointed as well, and I’m not sure I’ll be able to accept Sam in the role until we actually see him AS Finnick (in the trailer, in the actual film, whatever). I don’t dislike SAM — I think he’s a great person. I just dislike this casting decision.

• Natalie says:

Yes! πŸ™‚ This is so exciting, I love the casting for Finnick! I can’t wait to see what he can do in the role. He must of been great in the audition, I have complete faith in Lionsgate seeing as they did such a good job with the casting in the first movie. Very pleased!
    I also love that he’s a fellow Brit aswell πŸ˜€

Yay! Even though I’m not totally on board with Sam as Finnick, it makes me really happy to see all the British HG fans getting so excited. πŸ˜€

• Ellie says:

@Savanna Well, he’s not who I would have picked – but I said the same thing about Jennifer Lawrence when she was first announced to be cast. The first film was cast beautifully, so I have complete faith in Lionsgate. Admittedly Sam didn’t leave much of an impression with me with Snow White or Pirates; but those weren’t good films to begin with. I think that this will be his time to shine, and besides he already has experience playing a character versed in the sea. In my opinion, the fans are not the same as the casting directors, as much as we’d like to be. We can want people for the role and think they’d do well based off of looks, previous performances and interviews, but ultimately we do not know if they have the chops for a particular role because we don’t see them as the character. Casting for such a revered role had to have been a tough and grueling process (I mean, if it’s been going on since May!) so they saw something that made them give him the role. I’ll see what else he’s been in that maybe has more meat, but like I said, I’m going to reserve judgment until I see him in the movie/hear good things about him from the producers/director. πŸ˜‰

I am not he is gorgeous , I loved him the pirates movie , way to go lionsgate !

Sam is a very cute guy, I am very happy with lionsgate choice. I know this guy does drama well.

• Karen says:

I am happily surprised with the choice. No offense to any of the other choices, but I’m happy they went with a man who had a jawline. I feel like I’m looking at a man, not a boy.

• Dillon says:

Am I the only one concerned about his acting. The last two movies he was in were very bad and not that great at all. Thats my only complaint I have with him and a little nervous to see how he pulls it off.

Dillon, I’m concerned about his acting as well. I don’t think we can really judge him by his performances in Pirates and SWATH (not much to work with at all), but I’ve seen him in a few other things now and I wasn’t blown away. But there’s no way that they would cast someone who can’t act in the role, so his audition(s) must have been really incredible. Hopefully we’ll get some kind of a statement from Francis Lawrence or Nina Jacobson or Suzanne Collins soon.

• Satsuma says:

I’d say I’m cautiously optimistic that Claflin won’t disappoint as Finnick. For me, this isn’t a make-or-break issue as to whether I’ll enjoy watching the movie. For some reason, I never really signed onto all the Finnick-love, even from the books. I liked the character, but I wouldn’t say I ever crushed on him. (Peeta, on the other hand…:P) But I am glad for the sake of Finnick fans that at least the casting is finally official, whether they’re happy with the castihg or not.

• escayna says:

I don’t really know what to think. I’m sure Claflin will do a good job considering he got through Lionsgate’s audition process, but he doesn’t look like the Finnick I was imagining while I was reading the books. I always pictured someone like Armie Hammer, to be honest. Besides, Finnick is a complicated character, so it may be hard to get it absolutely right. Judging by the physical aspects, he has to be both incredibly handsome and very strong and athletic. Hopefully, Claflin can be both while giving a great performance.

• […] open the show by addressing last Wednesday’s EPIC (but not entirely unexpected) news: Sam Claflin was cast as Finnick Odair! Finally, after over a MONTH of rumors and speculation, it’s now official! “Finnick […]