'Hunger Games' Breaks Box Office Records Friday 23 March, 2012
No, we usually don’t make news posts here, but we’re so excited about how well The Hunger Games is doing at the box office and we want to encourage you all to go see it again and again (and again and again!) so that this trend continues.
We already know that The Hunger Games overtook Twilight in Fandango advance ticket sales, selling out 1000 showtimes one week in advance of March 23.
“It’s our fastest-selling franchise-opener since Twilight,” says Rick Butler, general manager and executive vice president of Fandango. “The brisk advance ticket sales are a testament to the strength of the incredible marketing campaign which has clearly resonated with fans and even those unfamiliar with the books.”
So far, here are the records that The Hunger Games has broken:
– Highest grossing midnight showings for a non-sequel ($19.7M)
– Highest grossing opening day for a non-sequel ($68.3M)
– #1 opening for Lionsgate in screen count (info courtesy of @larry411)
– Best March opening ever, best non-summer opening ever
– #5 highest opening day ever (info courtesy of @NikkiFinke via @larry411)
– 3rd largest opening weekend ever (after Deathly Hallows – Part 2 and The Dark Knight) ($155M)
We know many of you have already seen the movie once, but a LOT of you will probably go see it a few more times over the next several days/weeks. Be sure to order your tickets through Fandango! Click the image below or use this link:
(Image from movies.msn.com)